ELON1974
Hey,

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how to get keys. Unfortunately in my area there was one shop that could do it, and he does not have the correct blanks, doesn't want to order any for me (says he'd have to order bulk, not worth it, blah blah). I saw that I could get the blanks from WWest but they cost more to ship than the keys themselves.

Does anyone know someone who wouldn't mind mailing me a key given payment and my lock code? Looking for key to 74 Super Beetle, and it would have to be an "M" style key blank.
1974 SB - Lloyd
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Gabriel's lock and key. Find him on the samba. He's got all the blanks and can cut you keys for a  very good rate. he takes cc and paypal too i think. he goes by gabrielvw and everyone swears by him.
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
ELON1974
Found him! For the record, if anyone else is looking for him, his username is gabvwkey.

Could not believe all the incredible reviews of this guy, definitely will not be sending money to anyone else ... (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54110&highlight=)

Thanks, 
Michael
1974 SB - Lloyd
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Many thanks Michael

I have been looking for keys for a long time..
I did buy 4 VW keys on ebay and they cost about $20 each
but then found they weren't the correct type for My 68 Beetle...

and even if they were, the local key guy woudn't cut them as He said some keys are very hard and they wreck the $100 cutting disc..??

so, I'll look Him up...

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
ELON1974
Lee, as far as price goes, that is a LOT of money for a blank ... but shipping might be getting you as you live on the bottom of the earth

these guys are a little surly, but they get the job done ... website is a little lackluster, but probably because they spend most of their time working on VWs.

I'm fixing to pay about $8 a blank (logo) and about 15 for a CUT logo. Most of the old keys should probably be cut with a code punch style key cutter, not a disc (unless, of course, you're just making duplicates). 

If someone is cutting your keys from the code on your door handle then you should make sure they have a code book (obviously) and a hand punch. 

Gabe will do you for 7.00 shipping, 10 for the blank, 10 for the work. Probably not the most frugal option, but his work is solid. Got my keys and ... THEY WORK!
1974 SB - Lloyd
Quote 0 0
68autobug
ELON1974 wrote:
Lee, as far as price goes, that is a LOT of money for a blank ... but shipping might be getting you as you live on the bottom of the earth

these guys are a little surly, but they get the job done ... website is a little lackluster, but probably because they spend most of their time working on VWs.

I'm fixing to pay about $8 a blank (logo) and about 15 for a CUT logo. Most of the old keys should probably be cut with a code punch style key cutter, not a disc (unless, of course, you're just making duplicates). 

If someone is cutting your keys from the code on your door handle then you should make sure they have a code book (obviously) and a hand punch. 

Gabe will do you for 7.00 shipping, 10 for the blank, 10 for the work. Probably not the most frugal option, but his work is solid. Got my keys and ... THEY WORK!

Great site..
everything You need to know about keys and locks etc....
as key themselves are complicated...  so many different profiles
I think I will get a few keys cut and shipped down to Australia

cheers

LEE

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
68autobug
ELON1974 wrote:

Hi
after reading their website...
I see, they have problems handling the public... lol

I do have one problem...
I have changed the locks in both My doors..
so, the numbers won't be correct... lol

I'll have to find the numbers off My replacement door locks that use the same key...

LEE

-
Quote 0 0