ljohn

Guys since the winter is setting in I am looking for things to do on the car so I would like to re-pad the seats, I will reuse the original covers since the are in Good shape. However I see there are many different types of padding what is a good type with maximum support , I have a 73 Super....?...Thanks

The original looks like straw has all broken down and just the foam is present.

LJohn
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

The straw you are refering to, is the original horsehair padding and is also responsible for the smell in the interior of the bugs.

Mid america sells all the padding kits for the 73 as long as you don't have the sport bug seats

Quote 0 0
ljohn

And all this time I blamed it on those poor little mice.....

LJohn
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

I actually like the smell of the interior of a bug and would hate to lose it when I redo it!!!  Call me crazy

Quote 0 0
ljohn

Hi ML,

Guessing they must have used a different part of the horse when they did mine , I scrubbed the interior and hung an air-freshener when I got it home not so bad now but the seat springs are in your butt.

I have several (many) catalogs and have seen the available seat padding but was wondering of any one combination ejected foam, replacement horse-hair or some other material is any better then the other from anybodies own experience.....?

LJohn
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

I would say that the foam would be the best and most durable.  All auto makers now use foam. If you going for comfort over an original restoration foam would probably be the way to go.

Quote 0 0
ljohn

ML, You were right I disassembled the seats and just the backrest is horse-hair and foam, and it was that smell when I first saw the VW in the storage barn...bottem part of the seat are just foam

LJohn
Quote 0 0