Hi,  I appreciate this forum... I am new to it and restoring my 1974 SB.  I am trying to repair (or maybe replace) the passenger door handle; the handle finger pull-latch does not work to unlatch the door.  I have removed the screws on the side of the door and loosed then handle but I can't release the handle from the flat fin or clip that holds the narrow end of the handle onto the door.  I am afraid to force it.  Any ideas guys?  Thanks.  Rick

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Once the screws are undone, the handle gets pulled out a bit at the end where the screws had been, then the other end slides out of its spot.  The narrow end of the handle has a sort of hook-shaped thing that, well, "hooks" it onto the door.  The screws then hold the whole assembly in place.  It's a bit tricky, until you figure it out, but it's really rather easy.  I had to replace the driver's side door handle on Gunter for the same reasons.  Fortunately, I'd owned a doner car at the time with door handles that were virtually like new!  It's not a big harangue.  Just work it a bit until you can slide the narrow end of the handle off.

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

This isn't a clear photo.. out of my grease-stained manual as it is... but this is basically how easy it is to remove / replace the door handle.

Dan

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
bluebug

Once the screw is out you do have to push the handle forward in the door a little, then pull out on the aft end and the front end will follow.

Clark

Clark Verbockel
Quote 0 0

Thanks for the tip, and the photo.  I printed it to use later.  Do you mind telling me what manual are you getting that from?  Thanks.  Rick

Valley Center, CA

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Haynes Repair Manual "for VW Beetle & Karmann Ghia".  I find that it's good to have a selection of manuals to which I refer.  Doing this gives a varied perspective / illustrations / photos / set of discriptions so that one can get a fuller picture of what one has to do.  Well, that and ask questions on here.

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0