68autobug
I have just started installing a headlining.... and what a job... I wish I didn't have to do!!!!!
Worse than doing the doors rubber scrapers etc... MUCH Worse.... plus I have a glass sunroof which is making it even worse.... or I should say Harder... much harder..
but I'll perservere and I WILL Beat it ....

Lee -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
gartome
Hi first time on this sight.I have a 73 super that I am restoring at the moment I am welding the car for the M O T.
I have pulled the engine to rebuild,and took all the seats out, but the headlining is torn and I will have to fit a new one> I am not sure how to get the windshield out and the rest of the glass?
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi Gartome,
The only way I know is to cut the lip off the rubbers inside the car about 20mm up from the edge as the rubber is too hard [as in hardness] to take out without damaging the glass..
My Son & Wife are installing a headliner today in My 1968 AutoStick Beetle. They have done 5 others... Better than Me having to start learning on how to do it.. I was intending to do it, as I have done everything else on the restoration Myself apart from the engine overhaul.. and brazing 2 spots of rust up under a window rubber.
Be sure to use Plenty of Fish oil to stop any rust happening again. Spray inside the roof side cavities, heater channels, under the front & rear window rubbers and around the rear window from the inside, where late beetles do rust.. inside the doors and under the engine lid and bonnet rubber seals... Best of Luck.. I have used over 4 liters of Fish oil on MY car.. and I have NOT done underneath the car as yet, but as We have NO chemicals put on winter roads, I have just painted under the chassis...
regards
Lee - 68AutoBug - Australia -
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
gartome
Thank you for your great advice I will definitely be taking out the glass that way after all the welding is complete.
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
so far my new headliner and i have only been sharing stern looks from across the room. i've got to get my wiring harness in first then i'll have my own tales of woe i'm sure. everyone i know keeps telling me "take it to a pro you'll be happier" but being me i'll wind up doing it myself. My 74 came without a headliner and with a metal sunroof. does anyone have any tips for a metal sunroof headliner? all i can find are instructions for non sunroof. it's probably not much different and only takes a little common sense but i rarely have enough of that to spare. the sunroof headliner only has one bow which probably means more glue but i imagine if i glue the wrong parts that it won't look too slick

Patrick
Quote 0 0
68autobug
I would presume the sunroof has a metal surround that is screwed in.. so that You just put the headlining up and clip it everywhere with little spring clips... and then push the surround up into place from below the headlining and bolt it into place.... I suspect it will be difficult with only one bow.. and You may have to practise doing what I said a few times to get it right.. although You clip the front of the headlining to the top windscreen lip .. that is a start - the rest depends on the sunroof surround... Best of Luck .. do it on a hot day or in the sun... to stretch the headlining..
Mine came to a stand still with the sunroof...[its all clipped up.. but not glued.. Now I have thought about it.. I should have put it in normally with all Bows..[I have spares] and then cut the two I have to take out.. after its all in.. Now because We cut a hole in the headlining to fit the sunroof, I have to undo the sunroof to seal the top of it and put it back in the same spot .. which is going to be very difficult..
regards
Lee --

-
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
thanks, i'll give it a shot in a week or so and let you know how it went.
Quote 0 0