Tobra
I have the book that came with the car, and the window sticker, and the warranty book, most every thing. I will be dead before someone else is driving the car. If I get sick, I will stick it back in the glove compartment, I promise
'79 Super Beetle Convertible, Topline Sport+ springs and disc brake conversion. SS brake lines, KYB GR-2struts and Gas-a-just shocks
Quote 0 0
I just acquired a 74 Super Beetle vert in great shape. I have a great mechanic for the work I won't attempt yet, but I want to start doing some myself and am looking for recommendations on the best manuals for a novice. I bought the idiot book. Now I need more. Suggestions? Thanks
Quote 0 0
Wayne
You will hear from lots of people that swear by John Muir's "How to keep your Volkswagen alive - A manual of step by step procedures for the compleat idiot" (long title eh?). Still others will tell you to buy the "Official Service Manual" by Robert Bentley. I have both and you will need to check the two of them from time to time.

The Official Service Manual assumes that you know a thing of two about VWs, whereas the Idiot Guide (as it's referred to) explains things in the simplest of terms.

To be honest you really can't have enough shop manuals.
Quote 0 0
Bratman
I also have a 74 Super Beetle the Bug Me Videos sure can get you started -Haynes puts out a repair manuel -and if you search enough tech articles start your own folder -then dig in.
Tell me again about how this won't take much time, or money, and my car will be back in the garage before I know it?
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Well folks,
I have nine different VW Beetle Manuals for My 68 Beetle.
One of My favorite manuals is the Haynes VW Beetle & Karmann Ghia 1954-1979.. It Is a great manual & has plenty of photos.. I don't have a Robert Bentley VOA manual as yet. The Haynes Manuals are My favorites, I have a few of them, the chiltons books cover some parts extremely Well & don't show other things at all. I also have some Australian & UK produced manuals. They are ALL different & are all good reading. If I had to pick one it would be a Haynes Manual. I have read the late John Muir's idiot book, I don't like it and there are a few mistakes in His book. He wasn't a mechanic, He wrote books... but It IS a good starting off point, as it does tell you how to fix things in everyday language, and can get You going if You happen to breakdown..

Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
Wayne
I have the entire set of Bug Me Videos and would defiantly recommend them to anyone. The Idiot Guide is famous for the illustrations that are drawn in the style of the late "R. Crumb". I also found a book at a garage sale called "Fix your Volkswagen" by Larry Johnson. It's got a drawing of a 1303 Super Beetle on the cover with 5 little elves holding signs
Quote 0 0
68autobug
I bought 2 of those Larry Johnson Books Wayne, off Amazon.com they were both used and very cheap... I couldn't resist them.. I have read them many times.
They actually cover type 3s also.. so not a lot of info in a small sized book, but still good reading. I also check out used book shops when I see them, while visiting other towns & cities. I did get a very good UK printed book from one book shop, that should be in every Beetle glovebox, as it shows how to change a fanbelt etc... and a lot of basic things Newcomers to Beetles just don't know..
Its Odd that people take the VW handbook out of the glovebox or side pocket before they sell the car... Very few people have the book that came with the car... Now they are no use to people without the car... so what happened to them??

Lee Noonan - 68AutoBug -- Australia -
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
68autobug
OK Tobra.... We believe You....
I don't know why people take out the owners manual etc...
I like to see the original stickers on the back window etc.
You still see oval window beetles in Australia with a yellow "Volkswagen" sticker in the oval window...
I suppose just in case someone didn't know what sort of car it was, as they didn't put the "Volkswagen" badge on the rear until the late 60s...
By then everyone knew what brand of car it was.....

Lee -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

-
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
I've got how to keep your VW alive, Haynes, Chilton, and the official service manual and the one I use the most is the official service manual, second to that is the Chilton because they have an easy index in the back for quick look ups.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0