I have a Speedster replica, which I built myself about 12 years ago and have been fiddling with it ever since. A couple of years ago I converted it to IRS rear suspension and fitted it with an Alfa 33 engine. the performance is now superb, however, I decided it was time to improve the braking. The original car was a GT beetle so it has always had front disks, but rear conversion kits are expensive, so its taken a while to get around to it. This week, however, I eventually got an Empi conversion as it considerably cheaper that others on the market. I fitted it over the weekend with out too much difficulty, the only real faff was shortening the handbrake cable. The problem is, although I expected a bit of bedding in, at present three good pumps of the brake pedal are required to engage the brakes. Is this normal at first ? is the kit not as good as it could be ? have I done something Dumb ?

Quote 0 0
Jerky_san

Julian.. truthfully i have a empi kit to.. after 3 months of having it. I took it off.. EMPI did a horrible job on the kit. The cables didn't work, they forgot adapters in my kit, and they screwed up a lot other stuff that.. You might want to consider changing your rear rubber lines to steel or buy new ones.. When i was using them my rubber lines had to be replaced twice because they kept collapsing

Quote 0 0
Ryan
http://www.superbeetles.com/performance101/apr2.htm

Check out the link.  The empi kit isn't horrible, it's the same components most of the other brands are using.  The exception would be the few places that do steel or billet Al mounting brackets.  The stamped steel ones in the kits are sub par, but workable if you know what you're doing.
As for three pumps to get a pedal, you have air in your cylinders, I guarantee it.  --Ryan
Quote 0 0

Thanks for your advice, I fitted rigid cables when installing the kit, but the thought of an air lock in the piston sounds promising. I have also realised afted looking at the link, that I didn't put the shims in between the wheel spacers and bearings! this could offset the disks a tad. I'm away for a week but will recify it when I get back.

Thanks again. Nice to use a forum without sarcasm.

Quote 0 0
Ryan

It will push the disk out a tad, but I believe it's only to keep the inside of the hub from rubbing and burning up the grease seal.  My guess is that the kit uses a rotor/hub from another production car (a guess) and the shim was needed to make it work properly.  Easier and cheaper than having rotors made specifically for the VW aftermarket.  Custom rotors are out there, but by themselves they cost way more than this kit.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0

All sorted thanks for your help. The jury is still out as to whether braking is improved, but they do at least work now !

Quote 0 0