GRIZDOG

Every so often, my bug will stall for no apparent reason.  Then, it takes loads of cranking to get it to start again.  I think it started a couple of weeks ago when the bug hit a nasty bump.  It died right then.  Now, it stalls on it own and is hard to start again, just like it did the first time when it hit that big bump.

What could possibly cause this?  Any other time it runs just fine.  It just stalls all of a sudden every once in a while for no reason and then takes a boat load of cranking to get it to start again.  Then it's fine again.

I should also mention that the engine is newly (±1000 mi) rebuilt and so is the carb.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0

You may have a loose bolt on the intake manifold, or near the carb, causing intermediate stalling as the carb vibrates it lets air in and stalls.

Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

I'll check that.

By the way, is that a black super beetle in your avatar?  Mine's black too! 

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Bunkman

gRIZ,

I had a problem with my 72...Every time that I turned the corner I would loose power. I found that the fuse panel was loosing ground reference to the frame. I put a small piece of rubber sheeting under the fuse panel between the panel and the frame.

The ultimate fix will be to find the loose wire, but that will hold you over....

LJ out

72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

The fuse for my low beams blew out.  And I have noticed that all accept for one occation, it does seem to happen when taking a corner, particarly a left corner.  The one occation that was different was on a speed bump and the a big bump was when it all started.

Could this all be due to the same thing?  I will certainly check it out!

Was the rubber sheeting to keep the fuse panel away from the body/frame?

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Bunkman

yes that is correct....Anything will work...Believe it or not ...A rubber dish mat would cut and fit...It only needs to be about 8 inches square and that will do it....

Mine was doing the same thing. Turn a corner and blah blah no zoom... I would straighten back out from the corner and zoom zoom again....

Good luck...

72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

When my dies, it dies completely.  I have to crank it forever to get it to start back up again.  Then it's fine.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0