bill
Hello All,

I just bought a 74 super beetle from the original owner and it runs great I just have some electrical issues with it, (rear defrost won't work, no power to the radio etc).. now everything else that is needed to make the car run works fine.

I believe i can access the electrical from the trunk area but I don't think I can access all of it, so what I am thinking is I need to remove the dashboard to get at it all.

Do I need to remove the doors or steering wheel to get the dash board out so I can check the wires and make sure there are no breaks. Any advise would be appreciated.  

Thanks
Bill

Quote 0 0
YELLRHD
Bill,
If your super is a 74 and has the padded dash all of your electrical stuff is inside the car except for the fan and wiper motor which are in the trunk behind the cover plate.

First thing to do is check your fuses although a fuse may look good there is a good chance it had built up corrosion where it contacts the tabs in the fuse block. So one by one remove the fuses and check if they are good then clean each end of it and the tabs in the fuse block and put them in.

If that doesn't solve your problem its time to move on so here are a few things to check.

Does the little green light on the rear defrost switch come on? if it does then you have to check the relay it is under the back seat on the left hand side of the car. If your handy with a multi meter or test light you can easily determine if there is power getting to the relay.

If the light doesn't come on it could mean one of three things either the little bulb inside the switch is bad or the the switch has a bad ground causing the bulb not to light, and finally you just might not be getting power to the switch wich means it is time to start checking if wires are disconnected etc...

As far as the radio goes it could very well be that if the fuse is ok that either it just doesn't work or there is no speaker left and you just can't hear it.

You didn't say if it was after market or the original radio either way just pull it out so you can access the wiring and use a test light or multimeter to see if your getting power.

One thing to remember all original wiring on a VW uses BROWN for ground so be careful when your checking things. 
Quote 0 0
bill
thanks for the info.

The rear defrost gets no power what so ever, no green light nothing.  I think the whole issue is because they installed an after market radio and were trying to connect it and disconnected other things.

so my next question is how hard is it to remove the dash? I know there are the 4 screws on the outer edge but all the instructions I find are incomplete or don't give advice on how to get it out.  I did read somewhere that you should take the door off to get at it but not sure if I can pull the pin to do so.

Any advice would be appreciated. 
Thanks
Bill

Quote 0 0
VSB74
No need to take the door off to get the dash out, Bill. There's a very good step by step post at the link below on how to do it. The post will recommend removing the seats and dropping the steering column, but I didn't when I did mine.

You do need to remove the steering wheel though, just take the nut off thats under the horn button and give it a pull. Hope this helps!

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6982

Rog
Quote 0 0
bill
sweet.. that helps out a lot.... I had to "pick up" the dash to fit my arm behind it to get at the instrument cluster but after that everything else is easy enough...

Thanks again for the help. If I run in to an issue and can't figure it out I will be back..

Bill. 
Quote 0 0
mylook

there is no need to take the dash off to reach the electrical staff. just take of the right seat and lay down on the floor. get a light and all the wires are there. taking the dash off will cause you much more problems.

1973 1303 DAS Original
Quote 0 0