beetlejuice
Question #1
Where do people put their fuel filter? Or, rather, where is the fuel filter supposed to go? Before the fuel pump or after the fuel pump? Does it matter?

Question #2
I have a problem flooding my engine. Do Beetles carburetors flood easily? After the car has been taken for a short spin, how much gas-pedal pressure (pumps) does it need to restart it? I had assumed that a carbureted engine always needs pumps to the gas pedal to start. How do you #1)not flood an engine, and #2) unflood an engine, without having to remove the spark plugs and dry them off.

Question #3 to "Fatalifeaten"
What type of gas do you put in your Beetle?

Beetlejuice
Quote 0 0
kafertoys
Question #1
Where do people put their fuel filter? Or, rather, where is the fuel filter supposed to go? Before the fuel pump or after the fuel pump? Does it matter?

the idea place is under the fuel tank, never put it between the fuel pump and carb.

Question #2
I have a problem flooding my engine. Do Beetles carburetors flood easily? After the car has been taken for a short spin, how much gas-pedal pressure (pumps) does it need to restart it? I had assumed that a carbureted engine always needs pumps to the gas pedal to start. How do you #1)not flood an engine, and #2) unflood an engine, without having to remove the spark plugs and dry them off. 

I set them up so you only have to pump the pedal once to set the chock on cold start up, and after its warm you shouldn't have to pump at all to start.
Pumping will flood.  if it is flooded just hold the pedal to the floor.

Question #3 to "Fatalifeaten"
What type of gas do you put in your Beetle?

I normally run 93octain but because of gas prices it seems most 93 has more water in it do to less being bought.

saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
1: Either under the tank before the hardline or between the rear exit of the hardline and the rear tinwork, by the transmission. Either is ok. Try to keep it OUT of the engine comparment.

2: Don't pump it unless it won't start. one or 2 is all it needs unless there's something really goofy going on. Once it's flooded, you can usually just let it sit for 15 minutes or so and it'll start.

3: It really depends on what I'm doing. Generally I'll run 87 octane in it, and once every few weeks I'll run some 91 though. If I'm taking a road trip, I always fill the tank with 91 (highest I can get at the local pumps). On ultra rare occasions when I can get hold of some I'll run a tank of 104 octane avgas through. My compression's not super high so low grade gas is not going to hurt it. The stories about unleaded gas in VW's are pretty much myths, unless you have some ancient heads your valves can handle it just fine.

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0