MDs8erDUDE
Does anyone have any background on a quality paint stripper. (Like a name of a good brand?)

Thanks
Rob J

1970 in progress
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
Aircraft stripper works really well. There is a spray can version, and a brush on. The brush on gel I've had better luck with. BE CAREFUL though, this is bad stuff. don't just wear safety glasses but wear goggles, chemical gloves that go to your elbows, and if you get it on your clothes, promptly change that item. It's nasty and messy but it eats up paint. I think aircraft is the brand name, I haven't used it in a few years. It comes in a sky blue can with an airplane picture on it (imagine that). Have fun By the way, you should invest in a respirator for this stuff also and work outside for good ventilation. Too bad they don't make a paint remover that smells like chocolate cake huh?
-Patrick
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Here's something from POR-15

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=188
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee
Hey there everyone,

Right now I am tryin to prep my car to get primed up. Some one has already primered it grey but didn't sand it or nothing.. "you know how prevous owners are"    any way can't i just take and sand it down till all the bad spots are out of it and are smooth?? Or do I have to take the paint off with a pain stripper??? I don't want to use a stripper.. And also is fiber glass have a nice finish if done right??? I have someone that cut the apron off the car and then tacked it back. I was going to smooth down the tack and fiber glass the small crack from the top of the apron to the bottom where they cut it. Can this be done???

Aaron
71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
nipper552003

Aaron- Paint systems are not all compatible with each other.  That is, Dupont's paint system, which includes it's primer, base coat, and clear coats are all made to be compatible with each other. They may not  be compatible with the car's original paint job, or finishes applied later. What happen's if they are not compatible?  The finish may 'lift" the previous paint, softening it into a gooey mess.  When you spend $450.00/ gallon (or more) for paint, you want it right the first time. Primer bought from a hardware or auto parts store shelf are also bad culprits... frequently they are not compatible with finish coat systems.  That's why pros will remove old paint either by media blasting, chemical strippers, or sanding. Is your primer compatible with your paint?  Who knows- you will have to test it, but yes, even primers get wet-sanded for the very best finishes.  The pros use several types of primer so that when they sand them down, high and low spots show up.  Also, a good fiberglass repair can be sanded down so that it is virtually indetectable to the naked eye.  My paint and body man found 25 year old Bondo work on my front hood that was invisible before sanding.  We left it alone, since it was still solid.  In the picture here you can see the old Bondo repair showing through the wet-sanding (pinkish tint), the two different colors of primer (white and grey) which highlights high and low spots, and the sanded primer residue which ran down into the freshly undercoated wheelwells    John

Quote 0 0