javajuice

Hi all,

73 Super standard and stock except for short shift kit, did this before the short shift kit. So if I push the clutch in all is well, but this is a  bit of a nuisance since it does affect the idle and I have to have some one push the clutch in when tuning. Clutch has the correct amount of play. I am thinking this is an issue with the shifting linkage?

Any advice would be appreciated

formerly 1973 Super Beetle: Bugpack quick shift, Bug pack hide a way, TMI light grey tweed seat upholstery, a decreasing amount of grey primer ;)
Quote 0 0
Ryan

It's normal, though usually more prevalent when you use thicker gear oils, especially on cold mornings.  Since I switched to synthetics a few years back it seems to have stopped.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
javajuice

I knew you would have the answer. thanks

I'll give it a try.

formerly 1973 Super Beetle: Bugpack quick shift, Bug pack hide a way, TMI light grey tweed seat upholstery, a decreasing amount of grey primer ;)
Quote 0 0
Ryan

It's just the viscosity of the oil.  The teeth on the gears act like paddles making the gear oil flow, essentially driving the other gears like a water wheel,,,  well kinda.  Bottom line is, it's nothing to worry about.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
68autobug

It sure Sounds like the incorrect viscosity of Oil has been used in the gearbox... ie.. transaxle.. as the gearbox & differential are all together.

like too thick.... and the gears are acting like a pump....

Never ever had it happen to Me ... since 1968.....

Big problem is You don't know what the previous owner  or previous owners did or didn't do....

Best of Luck....

One  vehicle I owned a few years ago- Mitsubishi recommended that Automatic transmission oil was to be used instead of gear oil - in the winter, as in the frosty mornings, It wouldn't go into gear....

Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0