s0cks
I need to pull the teeth of the motor. The generator, fan housing, and such, so that I can look into replacing pieces that need it. I am going for the drivable, then the floor, then the looks. I got the fan belt off (9 shims! 9!), unbolted the metal strap, and tried to pull it. No room. I took the spring off of the hatch, and am in the process of trying to pull it (it rained, so no more for today). Any ideas about how to get it out through the top? It seemed like there were no bolts, indeed, I moved it over an inch.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Cobey
There are 10mm bolts on either side of the fan shroud that hold it to the rest of the case.  You'll have to use a wrench as there is no clearance for a socket.  You will also have to remove the whole decklid to get enough room to get the generator and shroud out.  I think Ihad to pull the carb off as well, but I can't remember for sure.
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/ghia](0)(=|=)(0)[/url] 68 Ghia Vert - Gina
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/edel/](O\U|U/O)[/url] 72 SB Vert Autostick - Edel
Quote 0 0
Ryan

The decklid mounts need to come completely off to get the shroud out.  You'll need to pull the duct work from behind the shroud at the oil cooler.  Be very careful lifting the shroud if the flaps are still intact.  The are that connects the flaps on either side will try to hang on the oil cooler and you can mess the fins up .  Just go slow and pretend like you have an extra set of eyes to watch things with.  I still think it's easier to pull the shroud with the engine in.  Once you've done it a few times it's a breeze.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
treeman

take off the 10mm bolts holding the engine lid on and remove the lid and the spring. Loosen the other bolts on the hinges and remove all but one on each hinge. Spread the hinges like horns on a cow, and you'll have room to lift the shroud up and out.

This is a good time to replace the engine compartment seal piece behind (towards the front of the car) the engine. Chip it out-it's probably hard as wood, slide the new one in the C-shaped metal channel, use dishwashing soap to lube it.

Getting the spring back on without marring the paint is a trick, though.

Bradford

Quote 0 0
s0cks
I'm not so worried about it just at the moment as far as the paint is concerned. My parents say "get it to look nice, then work on the motor". I want my car to go before it takes shape physically. I want to get her to run good enough to drive every day, then do the floorpan, then work from there.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0