putz

The old girl has all her welding done, heat channels,floors,quarter panels and much more. After a little bondo work she will be ready for paint. The problem is I can't decide what colour. I hope to be driving her by mid July and my question is....If I decide not to paint now should I cover her with an everyday primer or should I use an epoxy primer. I will take all suggestions for I know very little about epoxy primer.

Quote 0 0
68autobug

I'm afraid You will have to ask an auto painter
epoxy anything is usually the best and most expensive..

I know i read that undercoat or primer doesn't actually seal the body from water...??

I found it easy to pick a color...
My Son picked the color plus He painted My beetle for me..
My beetle was white originally, and I probably would have kept it white...  lol...

its also best to paint Your car before adding the windows etc..

to stop all the body rusting...
especially under the windscreen / rear window rubber

My Wife and Myself always buy White colored cars when buying a new car...

White used to be the most popular color in Australia
Metallic silver has taken over...

cheers

LEE

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
putz
Thanks for the advice. I think I will just go ahead and paint it. I'm thinking of going yellow for I looked at a 73 and fell in love with yellow. I can still get the original 74 yellow at the supply shop I go to.
Thanks again
The PUTZ
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
You could do teh standard '74 Yellow and then shoot a silver pearl tinted clear over it. Someting a little different, but it's certainly set it off from teh rest of teh crowd.
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
73bee
last time i painted the bug, i used PPG acrylic laquer...
nice flow, easy to work with,,,a billion colors....
not sure what i'll use this time round...
Quote 0 0
BugMan

I'm using some cheap brand.  I can get it at Wal-Mart.  I think it's called Krylon .  Just about any color you want.  Sprays out of the can easily .  I'm using satin black. 

Quote 0 0
Glorentz
bugman I am going the same way as you are. Are you going to primer it first or just spaying it?
Geoff 73' Super Beetle "Not Running"
Quote 0 0
spc73
if your going to wait to paint your car, dont leave it in bondo. you need to prime it so it doesnt rust. epoxy primer is your best bet, its no-pourse, (sp) so it tolerates the elements better. dont leave it in primer too long cause it will, eventually rust underneath and you wont know it till after its too late.

DP-90 by ppg is probly the best one out there

daily driver and it shows
Quote 0 0
hurley209

damn, im gonna have to spray some spraycan clear coat over my white primer.. i dont want it to rust..lol..

Quote 0 0