sector51
I'm just wondering...how much you think it will cost if I get all my engine tin powder coated? Would it be anymore than 200 or what?
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0
Wayne
If you search "Powdercoat Question" in the forum you will see that this topic has come up before.

"Liquid paint is composed of pigment, resin, and solvent. Powder paint is simply pigment encapsulated in a powdered resin and is thus simply thought of as "Paint without the solvent." Powder coatings and liquid coatings made from the same resin and pigment will have practically the same performance characteristics. For a given resin, the decision to use a powder or liquid coating is simply a question of application technique."

The bottom line was powder coating is not really much different than regular painting and not worth paying the extra $ for. Take your tin to a local body shop and get them to paint it for you. If you're handy with a spray can you could try it yourself.

Good luck!
Quote 0 0
Bullyboy
The spray can results VS powdercoating are no where near the same as far as quality or durability. We have the Eastwood powder coat system and it is great. We used the spray can from the autobody supply years ago. The paint lasted less than 5 years before starting to peel alot. Powder coated items we have done have been dropped, knocked, used and abused with the finish staying put. My vote is for the powder coating. By the way the Eastwood kit is $149.00
Mark, Dorinda, and Wilbur
Quote 0 0
dods1600
I have to agree with bullyboy things that i have had powder coated tend to last much much longer. Just be careful cuz it tends to be a little thicker. Makes it hard if things need to overlap.
1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
sector51
yeah powder coating is far better than just paint. Anyways, don't you need a compressed air source if you get that kit? You guys think it would cost a lot if I brought the engine tin down to a shop and got it powder coated? Can you ball park it for me?
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0
Bullyboy
As for pricing it depends on the area you are in. We paid $20 to coat a SP manifold that wouldn't fit in the oven.
Yes you need 8-10 psi of compressed air to push the powder out. You also need an old oven, but you can get those for 1-50 bucks used.
Mark, Dorinda, and Wilbur
Quote 0 0
Hello I may can get you a great deal on that. My company just merged with a powder coat company. http://Savannahpowdercoat.com There is not much on the site.

If it is prepped and ready to go it's a lot cheaper. There cannot be any grease. If you get me a PIC I can get you a price. We do stuff all over the world. A lot of people send stuff from Germany. I have BMW parts in there now.

Let me know and let me know a color I will get you a price and a turn around time.

My whole bug is actually about to be powder coated inside and out. She is going in the big oven soon.

email me jessica@jailhousechoppers.com
Quote 0 0