taylor0192
I have been having problems with my battery not charging. When I noticecd the problem replaced the generator and voltage regulator with brand new ones and it still wasn't charging. Brought it to the shop and they found that my regulator was only putting out 4.5 volts through the one side but was getting the 12v directly from the battery(they charged my battery cause it was dead). Here is what the shop did to it; -Inspected wiring and found field connection loose. -Repaired green field wire and system is now charging. -Vehicle sat for one day and then would not start. - Peformed electrical systems test and found the battery bad. -When battery was replaced with a test unit, the vehicle charged fine.......I got a new battery, drive it home and all was fine. The next day I drive it to school and all was finstil nothing wrong. I left school and the after about 4 blocks I accellerated kind of hard and the generator light came on. I took it to the shop and they can't look at it until Monday(1/7/08) I got back in the car and when I started it the light was off. The guy said it sounds like an eletrical problem. I Drove it about 12 miles and noticed my turn signal light wasnt showing so I push my turn signal connection tighter. Got back in and my generator light was back on. Brought it home and I have the same thing going on the with the voltage as before.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this one. I have never wanted to crash my car into a wall so bad.
1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Jerky_san
http://www.vw-resource.com/generator.html
Use this to find where or what is sucking your bettery down.. Its a little time consuming but it does work.. I had to do it but it was well worth my efforts. The taking the positive lead off the battery and using a voltamter works wonders..
Quote 0 0
taylor0192
Checked battery:GOOD
Got the generator test: GOOD
and the voltage regulator is new
BUT I'm only getting about 5 volts fromt he side facing the engine.
There is 12 going in from the battery though....doesn't make sense.
Any ideas?
1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker

Just a thought, May be redundant with what you have already gone through.

I ran into an issue similar to what you are talking about. After pulling hair out for days the end result was, for lack of a better word, a floating ground.  Check battery voltage, then check battery positive to engine ground (anywhere on the block/head) the voltage should be the same if not it could be a grounding problem. Over time the “natural” ground happening through Engine / Transmission mounts will oxidize and break down. You end up with the equivalent of “Bucking Phase” in a dual source AC power system. Source 1 being the battery and source 2 being the Gen.

The easy fix was to run a ground strap to a bolt on the transmission case.

"He who knows enough to learn, knows enough"
Quote 0 0