nfloyd52
Hey Guys,

I removed my pedal assembly from my 71 Super to replace the carpet. What is the procedure for putting it back. Will I have to disconnect the cable from the tranny or is there some way to hook it back on the cable?  Any help will appreciated.
Neal
Quote 0 0
Jerky_san
Hehehe its kinda fun =) in a crazy sorta way.. Alright what you gotta do is take the cable off the tranny or have someone hold the rod back where you can reach it with the peddle.. Personally I did the taking the cable off type thing.. Though your going to have to ensure you get the clutch correct.. So what your gotta do if you take the cable off the transmission is have someone either keep it tight or take some tape and wrap a little around the hook and the cable.. Having someone hold it is easier but the tape can also ensure that when its in there it doesn't come off as easily. After you have the cable hooked up you must then push the spring thats hooked to the brake peddle up to the stop that holds it down..

Make sure the brake peddle is pushed forward. If its not pushed forward its either past the stop or the hook on the other side of the spring isn't connected correctly to the peddle. Theres a little rode that connects to the master cylinder and the spring is outside of that keeping the rod held in place. On to of that theres a clip that holds the spring(if its still even there)..

Before you start putting the bolts into it though what you need to do is have someone keep a nice pull on the clutch cable.. If its allowed to go forward at all it will slip off the hook.(which is why the tape is there).. Put the bolts in and check everything and it should all be peachy.. After you tighten the bolts you must then ensure the cable for the clutch is 1/4 of an inch down before it engages if my memory serves me well. If you don't then your clutch will also be riding and you will be
Quote 0 0
Jerky_san
Also one other thing is when your messing with the clutch and such what my dad used to do when he didn't want to hold the cable anymore was he took a vicescrip and pulled it as tight as he tooked and cliped it to where it could go any further into the tunnel. Then you don't have to have someone constantly holding it but i've done it 4 or 5 times so I am very used to doing this stuff.. So having him do that generally doesn't make it super hard on me. You probably want to have someone hold it for you though since this is your first time.

Remember you must have patience and don't get frustrated.. It can make you go crazy if you get angry about it..

Also I went and looked at my spring its behind the stop not in front of the stop.. The peddles though are infront of the stop
Quote 0 0
nfloyd52

Thanks for the info Jerky.  Now to muster up the energy to go do it.

Neal
Quote 0 0
xtremeblvr

Just replaced the pedal assembly in my 72 super.  Sure tricky getting the clutch cable hooked...ha ha. Not that bad though. Good luck with the replacement!

Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Mark where the clutch cable is adjusted to at the wing nut on the throw-out arm (transmission end) I like to use a chisel point red sharpie for this. Then unscrew it.

Up front, get the cable loop over the clutch pedal hook and safety wire it in place. This will help to keep it from slipping off while you reinstall the pedal assembly.

Reinstall the assembly. The pedal stop should keep the clutch pedal from falling forward too far and causing the cable to slip off the hook. Go back under the car and reinstall the wing nut to the point where you marked it. This should get you 95% to a correctly adjusted clutch, and then just a little fiddling to get it correctly readjusted.

You're done!

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0