sector51
Is there someone that sells unchromed bumpers that you can paint? Do I just paint my chrome bumpers?
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0
Wayne
You've got a couple of options here. You could take your bumpers to a chrome shop and have the chrome removed from them. This would take them down to the bare metal and then you could sand and paint them. You could also contact Btlmex and order the bumpers from a Mexican Beetle which come primed for painting.
Quote 0 0
sector51
how much you think the dechroming will cost?
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0
dods1600
I'm not sure but could you take the chrome off with a grinder. Or is it a specialty thing getting them done.
1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
Wayne
I did an article for VW Trends about chroming (All that glitters is Chrome) and visited a plating shop to find out how it's done. The first thing they do is to dip the piece in a huge tank of electrified acid that removes old paint and chrome. This takes the piece right down to the bare metal so it would be ready for painting. Contact a plating shop where you live and get a price on it.
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Oy!  Personally, I prefer all of the chrome accents available on these old cars!  I guess I like the German look and am not much for the monocrhomatic "Cal Look".      I like to leave the monochromatic look to the New Beetles, myself, but to each their own!

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
nipper552003
I had the pleasure of seeing the end result of some really beautiful show chroming at the Auburn, IN classic car auctions last fall.  A company called "BumperBoyz" out of LA had at least one huge semi-truck full of every type of chrome bumper imaginable.  They were works of art, and the chrome was like mirrors.  The prices were unbelievably low, too.  They will take your old bumper as a core exchange, or redo your bumper if you wish.  They gave me a price list for VW bumpers, and it was cheaper than buying the Wolfsburg West top-shelf bumpers, and just a bit more than the cheapo repro stuff sold by every other VW distributor.  Someday I'm going to have them redo my NellyBelle's bumpers, but cash-flow problems won't allow it right now.  You guys on the Left Coast are lucky- their work is absolutely top-shelf.  They have a website (BumperBoyz.com)
John Scribner
Quote 0 0
flash
 Bring on the chrome! The more the better! I even have chrome strips on my door arm rests.  Very elegant! 

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0