hey all..

referring back to this post:
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/superbeetle/vpost?id=307191

i'm getting my '71 repainted..decided that i'm going to take it from a '71 to a more classic look - replacing the darker blue with a baby blue. now i've been doing research into where to take the car to get painted and i've decided that a show quality paint job isn't what i'm looking for right now. my budget is a bit limited - i just want the car's exterior to look better than it does at this point.

before taking my car to a shop to get it painted, i know that i should pull my chrome off and remove the door panels so they can paint the insides of my doors. otherwise though, what other type of prep should i do?

there are some rust spots on the car that i'd like to sand out. any suggestions on how to do that before i take the car in?
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi,

It depends on how bad the rust spots are...

You can clean up the rust until the metal is shiney and use a two part auto filler and then rub it back to normal....

If You have a rust hole, or the rust is coming from the other side of the metal, You have a much larger problem....

You can clean it up as best as You can , and then fill with auto filler etc

and then You can have it repaired later with the more expensive paint job....  I have done this over the years with great success....

I had a couple of small holes under the rear window rubber, and My Son brazed these up with bronze... which He was using at the time at His workplace....  If the hole is larger...  then a piece of steel is usually welded into the hole and then auto filler is used to finish it off.....

My Son is an Auto Spray painter so I'm lucky in that respect....

Any rust You have in the doors etc... where it can't be seen, You can use good quality deodorised FISH OIL....

Fish Oil is not expensive and it runs like oil into places You can't get to.

It does take a while to dry, especially in the winter time...

It  dries much better in hot weather... don't apply it to wet surfaces..

I hope this is helpful....

Lee Noonan    68AutoBug    Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi again,

If You are leaving the glass in....

If You put some PVC covered electrical wire, probably around 6mm or so, under the edges of the window rubbers, the paint will actually cover some of the metal that goes under the window rubber...   and that will look much better than having bits of rubber painted the same color as the car.... just a tip... I've never tried it, but it makes sense to Me...

You will need to take the complete tail lamp assembles off....

includes the metal bit under the lense plus the rubber gasket....

the painter can push the wires thru the hole in the fender...

Same with the flasher/blinker units...

Best of Luck  -- Happy Easter --

Lee Noonan  -- 68autobug -- Australia --

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0

ON the paint Job. I recently bought a bug that the previous owner had had it painted at Macco's and they do not paint the inside of the trunk, motor compartment, door jams, exc. just what you can see. they do tape off but did not remove Any of the parts. So when I replaced some of the lenses you can see the different color paint.

Check around and when you ask ask what they paint and what is included. They also did not have a clear coat with the package that she got. It was extra. So a $299 package came out to almost $1000.

Quote 0 0
MLTigger

When I had my '69 painted I was a broke college student.  I did all the prep work myself  I removed the glass in  rear, I had pop outs so I didn't need to remove the side windows, all trim and seals(car was originally from Eugene Oregon where I lived and all the window seals had moss YES MOSS!!! growing in them) I removed the taillights, headlights, turnsignals and even the bumpers and brackets as I was replacinjg the rubber seals around the bumper brackets anyways

In my opinion one of the better things you can do when you paint a beetle is loosen the fenders and remove the fender beading.  I painted my bug red and replaced the beading with black beading and it looked awesome.  I am not sure if the beading was black when VW's came of the assembly line or if it was matching the body color.

Quote 0 0