Wayne
Hey all, I'm getting my 75 Super back on the road after the winter. I'm going to throw a set of plugs and an oil change into her, but was wondering when I should consider changing the O2 sensor. It's got about 130,000 miles on it.

Thanks,
Wayne Dean
SuperBeetles.com
AllAirCooled.com
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee
Wayne you know as well as I do, it is best to replace them little parts before they go baddd... I would change it just for the heck of it... Know what i mean?

Aaron
71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
Wayne
I've looked at every VW site and I'm begining to think that the '75 doesn't use one. This looks like a question for Marc!   
Quote 0 0
Wayne

I got home and opened my shop manual and found out that the fuel injection system on my Beetle does not have an O2 sensor. Unlike other cars it uses a temperature sensors 1 & 2, thermo-time switch, pressure sensor, throttle switch and other assorted goodies to get the information to the control unit or ECM. Sounds like a whole lot of things to go wrong to me

Quote 0 0
71SuperBee

Yes wayne. I was told the FI is not the way to go. peace

71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
Hey, buddy Wayne!  Looks like you lucked out on the O2 sensor thing... especially since, as I've been told, the 02's burn out quickly on the New Beetles and later model VW's.  I cannot confirm this as the last water cooler by VW that I'd driven was a '79 Rabbit Diesel L, but this is what I understand to be true.

At the very least, the golden La Grande does not have this worry.  Great news that you've got it out!

Dan
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0