staticattic
My baby started today!!!!! I am so excited. I feel like I have reached a MAJOR milestone. My ears are still ringing, but it ran pretty good for the initial 20 minutes or so of letting her run. She sure did spit out a bunch of oil on the passenger side valve cover. I am thinking the seal must be in there crooked. It was too hot to mess with it while it was running, so I just stayed back there, manually working the throttle and keeping an eye on the oil just in case anything decided to catch on fire. I don't think I brought it up before, but I have merged headers with a stinger exhaust, so it was definitely LOUD. My neighbors down the street were coming out of their houses to see what the noise was. No cops came, so I guess they weren't too annoyed. To be honest, I really did not think it would start. I figured it would hit a few times, then I would spend the rest of the day finger fiddling with it. Not so. It only took about 5 minutes or so of messing with things and then, as if she suddenly found her voice, my baby roared. And roar she did. Either that is a testament of the hardiness of a VW engine, I did everything right, or maybe a little bit of both.

I do have a few electrical problems though. My generator light never goes off, the front headlights do not come on at all, the rear left turn signal doesn't work, when I turn on the left turn signal, my right headlight flashes, etc. There is enough to keep me busy for the rest of the day while I let everything cool down so I can change the oil.

The bottom line, I am really impressed with myself. I am amazed I did something like this, by myself, and it actually worked. Tomorrow it might burst into flames when I turn the key, but it sure did run today.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi Jeff,

My Son has a similar exhaust on His 69 Baja beetle...

although It doesn't sound that noisy to Me outside...

but inside You need ear plugs...

I was a back seat passenger once for about 1/2 a mile...

I was going 300 kms with them, lucky i found another ride in a stock beetle...

So, it looks like you need earplugs Jeff,

maybe some for the neighbours too....   

Good job on getting it going... so fast..

and fixing those electrical problems...

Best of Luck

Lee -- 68autobug -- Australia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
staticattic

Thanks Lee. Although I really like it loud, I am thinking once I get everything running like it should and start driving it daily, I am going to have to switch out the stinger for some dual quiet packs. I leave for work every morning around 0600. I am guessing there will probably be an angry mob at my house before too long.

Concerning the electrical connections, everything in the back seems to work properly now, except the alternator. That light still doesn't go off. It is a brand new alternator, so I am hoping I just have a wrong connection somewhere. The front items are all messed up now. I spent a bit of time troubleshooting and tracing out wires. I made some movements, but that made things worse instead of better. I am really thinking, at this point, it would be better and faster to just pull out all of the front electrical connections and start over. It might be something simple, like bad grounds, but either way, I don't want to end up with a bird nest of wires. Moving things around is starting to make things look sloppy, so I am going to pull it all out and start with one thing at a time.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi again,

the wire to the alternator light is usually a small wire, and on the alternators with a built in regulator, there are only two wires [from memory]

The heavy thick wire to the Bolt on power Outlet...

My Son has an alternator with an external regulator...

I think it has 3 connections...

all push on connectors....

I can't remember the beetle I wired up recently for Him...

It was only two wires... so it had an internal regulator...

Did Your car have an alternator on Your engine before?

As Sometimes, the alternator is connected up correctly..

but the generator regulator under the back seat ..

is still connected....

cheers

Lee - 68AutoBug - Australia --

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
staticattic

It originally had a generator, but all of that stuff has since been taken out. I took all of that out when I ran the new wiring harness. Here is a link you sent me a while back about making the conversion from a generator to an alternator:

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/gen_alt.htm

That site has been very helpful, by the way.

I really think I just got in a hurry to get things done and I probably missed a few steps as a whole, not the few steps for making the conversion. I do get side trakced very easily, but I am not that bad...yet.  Luckily I have my handy, dandy multimeter today and can really get down into it.

Once I get the wiring done right, all that is left to do are a few of the trim items, such as headlight rings, scrubbing the wheels, etc and she will be drivable. That is, until the angry mob shows up at my house demanding I get a quieter muffler. Speaking of, I used Second Skin sound deadening material inside the cab. I haven't had a chance to test it out to see if it really does block heat and noise like the ad said it did. I do like loud exhausts, but if it is too loud in the car to even hold a conversation, I think I will go ahead and make the switch to dual quiet packs anyway.  

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
staticattic
I did some troubleshooting today and found out the wires for the oil light and the generator light on my speedo were crossed. That means my alternator is working just fine, while my oil light is not functioning properly. I ran it for about 20 minutes or so on Saturday. Yikes!!! I am glad I didn't screw anything up. I started it today and let it idle while messing with the alternator. That was when I realized the mix up. Here is where it gets scary, to me anyway. I put my multimeter on the oil sensor plug and it never registered an open. The circuit stayed closed the whole time. I am scared to turn it back on now to do anymore troubleshooting. My question is, how would one troubleshoot oil pressure without totally screwing up their engine? I am assuming since everything is new, that must mean my valves are out of adjustment. I am going to try adjusting those, but if that doesn't work, I am going to have to tow it to the local bug shop. I really hate having to do that, but I would rather swallow my pride by letting them fix it, than have a painted and restored bug with a seized engine.
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi Jeff,

I would just try another oil pressure switch...

One thing You could try is to take the Dual Oil pressure valves out and make sure they can move up and down...

but I'd try another oil pressure switch...

they are only a very basic switch, so something may have gone wrong.

if its the same, then, You have a spare oil pressure switch...

seeing the switch is new, its probably never been tested..

Best of Luck

Lee -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

-
Quote 0 0