MY72BUG
MY72BUG was cruisin' home from the Niagara June Jitterbug last Sunday. Stereo on, lights on, wipers on and driving with a heavy load into strong winds and heavy rain. Suddenly, generator light on and car dies. I pull over, turn everything electrical off. I checked and the belt was still on everything was intact and not even wet. I cranked it over and started right up. I drove on with no stereo. A few miles later, generator light on and the loss of engine power again, but I punched the head light switch in, gen light went off and power back to the engine - instantly. A while later I was able to turn off the wipers and completed the trip without incident. Is this a weak generator? battery? or something amok with the voltage regulator? or ? This car has never been a problem in the rain. Any ideas? Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I might have cornered the problem.  I think that it was a good old fashioned loss of power stall.  I had an unrelated problem when low fuel flow to the carb turned out to be the throttle cable fitting had come loose, not off, just loose on the carb.  It worked after a fashion but most of my gas pedal effort was going toward straightening the cable, not opening the throttle.  On a test drive I had the sudden loss of power but before I even came to a full stop I just jiggled the ignition key in the running position and it was power back on just like that.  With the switch failing to power the coil every once in a while I would get the above effect - I think.   MY72BUG
Quote 0 0