Has anyone replaced the outside scrapers? I'm about to start and would like to read any instructions that may be available to get me going?

Quote 0 0
nipper552003

Yes, I have replaced the scrapers on a '64 beetle, and in my opinion, the job sucks.  It's one of the hardest jobs you can do as a D-I-Y restorer.  But it is necessary, if you are going to keep water out of your VW's door.  Go slow, don't use screwdrivers, be patient, and be prepared to be frustrated.  If all else fails when trying to snap the d***n clips into the little holes in the door, go to your local AutoZone, or similar supplier and buy the little rectangular plastic trim clips made for some Japanese cars.  Yank the cheap retaining wire (which has the clips bent into it, and will never work, no matter how hard you struggle!!) out of the new scraper and use the new rectangular plastic trim clips to secure your new scraper in the holes. VOILA!  Wasn't that easy?!?  You might have to trim the little plastic clips with a file or grinder, and sometimes they don't stay quite as well, but this little tip just might save your sanity....

John Scribner 

Quote 0 0