sup73bk
Thought that I would make fun of myself a little, or show my stupidity. I was mounting a pro-comp tach underneath my ashtray and using some concrete screws 3/16" X 1&1/4" I proceed to mount it. Well the screws worked great, but ended up putting a 3/16" hole in my gas tank. I didn't even notice until I was mounting some little brackets to hold the wiring together and it started leaking out. I had about 5 gallons in the tank, but that was easily pumped out by using the cars elec. fuel pump. I then got the gas tank out and proceeded to use a gas tank repair kit, well they don't work. So now it is time to remove the gas tank again, clean it out, and use the mig welder. Oh, well it is a learning experience.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Great story! Hey, if you can't make fun of yourself who can you make fun of?

Let's see...what have I done?

When I took off the wiper motor cover under the front hood to repair a leak, I glued it back on with a glue called Goop. A year later I'm painting my Super and found that it was almost impossible to remove it. I should have used some caulking or something because that thing was STUCK. A few hours and bloody knuckles later I got it off all bent out of shape. Live and learn
Quote 0 0
68autobug
sup73bk,
I do believe that You have to fill a fuel tank up with water to weld it, as the fumes are explosive, more dangerous than the fuel itself.. If We don't hear anymore from You, We will know You didn't...

That Glue sounds great.. Wayne.. as usual, if You want to glue something, the glue You use doesn't work too well. If You don't want it to glue too good, it sticks like anything!! Silicon is good for holding things, the more You can use the stronger it holds, and its usually not too hard to take off, if You use it sparingly...
Most sticky backed things don't stay stuck for long in Our heat down here.. Especially sticky backed foam rubber strips around bonnets etc...
Lee Noonan Australia
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
I have drilled through my gas tank twice in my 914. Sorry it's not a beetle, but it's still related. I found some stuff at Advance Auto Parts, of all places, that works great. It's some sort of epoxy that's seperated into two colors and you pull off as much as you need, mix it together and apply to the hole. Never has a problem since.
Quote 0 0
Whyshchuck
Don't weld it when full

greetings
Szymon
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
Thanks for all the replys. I wasn't convienced that the gas tank repair kit that I also bought from advanced autoparts was working, but after I pulled the tank out this weekend. I realized that the stuff had done the job and I had forgotten to tighten the hose clamp for the fuel line underneath the gas tank and that is why the "darn" thing kept leaking. While I had it out I gave it a fresh paint job and put on the new fuel filler neck transition hose and inner seals that I got from aircooled.net. For the first time since I have owned the car I don't have any gas smell even after I fill the tank up. However, another problem I continue to have is that when I am filling up the car I have to hold down the pump lever at like 1/4 throttle or the vapor sensor pops the pump. I have tried the fuel filler neck in different positions with no luck. Any ideas. I can live with it though I am just happy my bug doesn't reek of gas.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

Quote 0 0
sup73bk
I was reading an article in VWtrends about proper wiring of gas tank tubing, but it mentioned an expansion chamber. I don't have one of these I don't think, where can I get one?
Thanks
1972 1302S

Quote 0 0