s0cks
Ok. Here is the situation. My volkswagon won't crank. It turns over, and every once in a while hits. I think it is plugs and wires. Any other suggestions?
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Ryan

So you mean it won't start then.  If it's spinning, then it's cranking.  You need three things for an engine to run; fuel, spark, compression.  Those are the things you should be looking at.  Without anymore details as to what or how you've been trouble shooting this, it's anyones guess.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
s0cks
We poured fuel into the carb, so that takes car of the delivery for us. There is no air filter on the carb, so it will get air. The car ran 7 months ago, so I think the compression is good. The spark should be all that is left, no?
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Ryan
Just pouring fuel down the carb doesn't solve a delivery problem.  If the carb was sitting for 7 with fuel in it, then there's a good chance it's pretty gummed up inside and possibly has clogged passages.
Spark is easy to check, pull a plug wire while someone cranks the engine and look for spark.  If you see it, then look for a problem somewhere else.  --Ryan
Quote 0 0
Marc
Odds are that the points have a thin corrosion layer on them. Even brand-new points that have been on the shelf too long can have this problem, and if the car's been sitting for a while it's almost certainly the case. A few strokes between the contacts with an emery board or a strip of fine sandpaper folded in half is usually all it takes to bring 'em back from the dead.
Be sure to change the oil; you should check that the valves all have lash (seats can get rusty on any that were open that long) and adjust them to spec after it's been run for a while.
Quote 0 0