Sparx_Macgyver
Yep, new guy to Beetles, and VW's in general. There's one that's fairly local to me, and I'm hoping to look at it soon. Is there anything specific I should look for with these old cars? The one in question is a '74 Super Beetle, and from what the owner said, it's stock.
Beetles, Bus, and Things
Quote 0 0
VSB74
Welcome to the forums and to VW's in general. The main thing you want to look for is rust, especially on and around the frame head under the front end, the strut towers and the heater channels. The battery tray under the battery is a likely spot as well plus the floor pans. Mechanicals are easier and cheaper to fix than rust. If you're able to, use the original jack in the square hole in front of the rear tire to jack it up with. If you hear a crunching sound, you could have rusted heater channels and I would look for a different bug.

If this is a driver, check it over as you would any used car purchase, like lights, brakes, etc. Lights not working could be anything from a bad bulb to bad wiring.

One thing to check for on the engine is the crankshaft pulley. Try pulling out on it and pushing in. If you see or feel any movement, you'll be looking at major engine repair in the future.

Just a few things to get you started. Let us know how it works out for you!
Rog
Quote 0 0
Sparx_Macgyver
I will. There are actually two that are semi-close. One is an hour one way, the other is two hours the other way. 

I'm not particularly new to VW's, per say, as I used to get to drive the old bus, super beetle, and thing around on the family farm. Sadly, the family cannot help with these as it's been ages since any of them have had anything like this around there. My grandpa might know some stuff, but he said he has to be in person, so I've come to what I hope is the very next best thing.

Thank you for that tip. I know used car stuff, but for these older vehicles, I prefer to get any info I can from the folks who would know better. Well, better than I would.

Beetles, Bus, and Things
Quote 0 0
dizi

also look for rust at the bottom of the doors. there's drain holes for water that usually get plugged up and cause the water to just sit there. and also feel how they open and close if theres severve binding it could be from a possible wreck. And look for wrinkled metal at the bumper mounting points. have fun and Good luck!!!

you did what???
Quote 0 0
Sparx_Macgyver
Drain holes? Never would have known about that. Thanks. 
Beetles, Bus, and Things
Quote 0 0
peet15
VSB74 wrote:
Welcome to the forums and to VW's in general. The main thing you want to look for is rust, especially on and around the frame head under the front end, the strut towers and the heater channels. The battery tray under the battery is a likely spot as well plus the floor pans. Mechanicals are easier and cheaper to fix than rust. If you're able to, use the original jack in the square hole in front of the rear tire to jack it up with. If you hear a crunching sound, you could have rusted heater channels and I would look for a different bug.

If this is a driver, check it over as you would any used car purchase, like lights, brakes, etc. Lights not working could be anything from a bad bulb to bad wiring.

One thing to check for on the engine is the crankshaft pulley. Try pulling out on it and pushing in. If you see or feel any movement, you'll be looking at major engine repair in the future.

Just a few things to get you started. Let us know how it works out for you!

Rust is indeed one of the key elements what you should check when buying a VW Super Beetle. Here's a checklist that may help: https://aircooledcommunity.com/blog/ultimate-checklist-to-buy-a-volkswagen-beetle/
http://www.beetlecommunity.com - Tips & Tricks, tutorials and international meeting calendar
Quote 0 0