staticattic

My car, just today, started making a strange sound. If I had to describe it, it sounds like a rattlesnake. It goes until I put a little pressure on the clutch, then it stops. When I say "little pressure", I mean as in just resting my foot on the pedal. I can't see where anything is caught up anywhere. At first I thought maybe it was a piece of paper that got sucked up in my engine compartment. Other than that noise, it seems to be running fine. I am wondering if the noise is either an early warning sign of something that is about to screw up or just an annoyance. My clutch itself is only a couple of months old and I don't ride it, so I am hoping that noise is not somehow related to a clutch that is about to go bad. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Jerky_san
I dunno much about a clutches but in a way it sounds like its your throw out bearing or something of that nature.. Is there play in your clutch? Should be atleast a 1/2 inch or something like that..
Quote 0 0
BugMan

You might want to check the linkages.  Might be a loose nut on the pedal or cable, or something.  May also be the throw out bearing like Jerky said.

Quote 0 0
oldyeler
 ITs  a Clutch fork falure.  I'd bet it has cracked  where it welded to the shaft..  It is less likely to have a presure plate falure. But if it is the fork you may have by now also damadged the presure plate.. and chewwed the fork up.
 May as well pull the engine and inspect. the clutch plate fork and throw out bearings.

I have one question has the petal got more travel.?  Because thats a dead giveaway.

I have rewelded the fork back in place If it didnt do any damage. and got chewed.
Quote 0 0
staticattic

Thanks for the responses. No, there is no extra play in the clutch, its just as tight as it always has been. In fact, if it weren't for that noise, I would never know anything was different. I do know, the noise does not speed up when I give it gas. Also, it seems like it changes pitch after a bit of driving and it is not really very loud. It does sound just like a rattlesnake is laying on the ground right underneath my luggage compartment. I sure hope I don't need to pull the engine. I'll dig around on it this weekend to see what I can find. I really, really hope it is something simple. Pulling the engine is going to be a major surgery and the last thing I want to do.  

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
oldyeler
Now Im puzzled , Not a leaf or stick in the fan . or a carb leak.. Petal does not quiver? or some pebble under the crank pully... Im afraid that new clutch, is a prime suspect. or a dry throwout bearing .
     I put grease in a tuna can heat it until its liquid then drop the bearing in it and set  the can in a old frig  Now thats a packed bearing. .

Other wise I'm stumped
Quote 0 0
staticattic

I am pretty confused myself. It did not make that noise while driving home yesterday nor did it make the noise while driving to work this morning. Either a piece of trash was stuck somehwere that it should not have been, or the noise was a very early indication that something is about to screw up. I'll dig around underneath it tomorrow. Maybe I'll find somethig obvious...

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
oldyeler
Reminds me of the time I had a mouse in the fan it pinged and whirled. when I cranked it up one morning .

I cut her off  figuring  I sucked up a twig. or something .. It was DOA
Quote 0 0
flash

One of my many mystery noises over the past  34 years was a fanbelt that had a small sliver along one edge and was making a weird slapping noise.

These bugs can have some bugs every now and again.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
staticattic

I finally figured out what my mystery noise was. It had stopped for a while, but yesterday it started doing it again. This time, it started doing it when i was going fast around curves to the left. After a few left curves, it started doing it steadily. What was different this time, pushing a tad on my clutch did not stop it. When I got to work, I got out and started looking around to find the source of that irritating rattle snake sound that had grown quite loud. Turns out, it was a little section of cooling tin rubbing against my lower pulley. My lower pulley has a tiny nick in it, which accounted for the rattlesnake sound as compared to a steady sound. I bent that section of cooling tin back about an inch, problem solved. What I don't understand though, when it first started happening, pushing in my clutch a little would make it stop. Why? The only guess I have, when I push in the clutch, that whole "end play" thing happens, and maybe just enough pressure was taken off the cam so it moved backwards a fraction of an inch, just enough to get off the tin (they were just barely rubbing).  

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
oldyeler
 That  is weird,  Is that the pully bolt cover thats held by one screw?

I  always leave it off .  If  I lose a belt at night. its easyer to replace.the belt.
Quote 0 0