Karl53
I've been working on a '71 super for a friend of mine, and we recently put in a different engine.  the engine is supposed to be a 1800 but I'm not sure exactly. anyways, I've done the regular tune up procedure and the engine has no power in fourth gear. i recently replaced the clutch since it was slipping bad and making it hard to diagnose the problem, and it did not help narrow down the problem.  the car goes good through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but once you get to fourth it will barely hold the speed that you were going in third, with next to no acceleration.  i read the other article about no power, and checked the accelerator cable, so that is not the issue, but I'm wondering if maybe the problem is that the carb is too small for the size of engine that it is.  its running a solex 34 pict-3 and the engine is a 1800.  could it be that the carb is just too small to handle that engine? maybe i should also mention that the bug is done up baja style with oversize tires on the rear.(actual size 265-70-R15) i have tried smaller tires on the back but to no avail.  any advice would be very helpful to get this pointed in the right direction.
thanks
Karl

(o\ | /o) 2 1972 Superbeetle
1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Thats a hard one Karl..
I would normally say its the size of the rear tyres as 4th gear is an overdrive...
whether a PICT 34 is too small for the 1800cc engine I don't know..
Most 1835cc engines have twin carburetors etc...

but maybe the air/fuel ratio is not enough for 4th gear...
BUT
if it goes OK in 3rd Gear... revving OK...
I wouldn't think it would be OK in 4th gear...

Depends on the differential ratio too...
3.875 - 4.125 - 4.375 ...

I would think that with the large OD tires maybe you need the 4.375 to 1 diff ratio...

LEE

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
34 pict-3 should be ok for that engine. Where's the timing set, and what distributor are you using?

Those are definitely some hefty tires, but I wouldn't expect them to rob you that badly...

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
Karl53
its running a 009 distributor, and if i remember correctly the timing is set to 7 1/2 deg BTDC.  i realize that the tires are massive, but they look really good on the car.
1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Try setting your timing between 28 and 32 degrees at 3000 - 3500 rpm. 009's should be set for full advance and then just let the idle fall where it will. Might help. Make sure all your holes are plugged too so you're not drawing a vacuum leak and flattening out loaded up in 4th gear. If those things don't help, sounds like time to go through that carb again

Is it a type IV 1800?

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
Karl53
thanks i'll try that... as far as i know its a type I 1800.
1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Yes,
the 009 needs to be timed for maximum advance...
NOT idle timing...
My 009  idles at 10 degrees BTDC
but was tuned to 32 degrees BTDC with a timing lamp above 3500 rpm..

and its working beautifully..

cheers

LEE

PS: type 1 engines are usually 1775 - 1835 ccs.. when over sized

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0