divot27
Hey all.

Wondering if anyone can help me here.

I just installed a newer motor into my '73 Super. The motor was donated from a running bug. The problem is that in my bug it seems to be running like a 1300cc, not a 1600cc. It idles perfectly, but has very little acceleration. And No acceleration in 4th gear. Unfortunately, the guy I got it from is out of town for a week. I do know that it has a Weber carb and a 009 distributor. It had a Alternator, but my car was not wired for it so I put my Generator on it.

Any ideas????

Thanks,

Divot
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

Three things I would suggest.  First; how " used " is this used engine?  Warm it up and take a compression test on all four cylinders.  If the valves and rings are not generating the compression the engine will be a real slug.  Second; I would put a timing light on it and watch to see that the timing is correct and that the timing is advancing as the engine accelerates.  Third; you should also make sure that simple things such as the right spark plug wire is going to the right cylinder.  I had two mixed up once and that engine's get up and go had got up and went !  Let us know what happens with this.

Quote 0 0
divot27
Compression and timing are both good.

But I thought of something....I had to replace the accelerator cable but I did not have one. I do not live anywhere close to a bug shop. So I ran regular Aircraft flight control cable and put a swedge at the pedal and tightened it up at the carb.

Maybe this cable is too loose of a twist to use in this application???
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

There is a very real likelihood that this is your problem.  Get the engine running and open the throttle by hand a couple of times watching to avoid that generator belt.  Then have a partner hit the gas pedal a few times.  Does the throttle open to the same degree?  .....and, you don't need to be near a Bug shop.  Go to one of the on-line suppliers like CIP1 and they will deliver to your door in very short order.  Try this and let us know how things work out.

Quote 0 0
divot27
It appears to have been the cable.  My buddy let me take one off of his Super and boy does my Bug FLY!!!!  There is know way that the motor I got is a 1600.  There was a stamp on the block from a machine shop, but some of it was covered by the oil cooler. All I know is that it flies.

As far as parts I have been using Mid-American for years now and have never had any issues with them. They are also closer to where I live.

Thank you for all of your advise.

Divot
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Is this the one you blew up? (from other thread)

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

Good to hear that you resolved it.  Moral of the story: If the engine room isn't receiving orders from the bridge, don't be surprised if you get all ahead slow instead of warp one.

Quote 0 0