I've always loved VW Beetles and owned one in the early '90's.  I plan to buy a Super Beetle and my question to you all is what year would you recommend and why?
Quote 0 0
Sorry but I have a follow-up question.  What are your feelings about dual carbs on a Super Beetle?
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi,

You can actually get better performance and fuel economy running twin carburetors.....

or You can get very good performance and very poor fuel economy....

from large twin carburetors....

I don't own a Super Beetle but a 1968 standard Beetle... so I can't really comment....     except there was the flat windscreen, flat dashboard 1302S Super Beetle in 1971-72  and the 1303S with the Curved windscreen and difference dash from 1973> on...

Lee  --- 68AutoBug ---- Australia ---

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
flash

I have a 73 Super with a single original carb and I'k getting 27 MPG with the AC on.

Loren

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0

A lot of it is personal preference.  Personally, I would not really want one from 1975 and upwards.  In '75 they went from carb to fuel injection.  At least to me, that makes it somewhat a little too "new" (if that makes any sense).  I have a '74 and love it...even if I'm having some trouble with the carb right now...but will get that solved (just need to make the time).   I owned a '71 Super back in the '80's and it's interior was a little more "classic" -- with chrome horn ring, flat windshield, as well as the smaller taillights... Look closely at a '71/72 vs. a '73/74 and even though they sort of look the same, there's lots of subtle differences.   Really comes down to what you find and what personally you like.  Just jump in!

Quote 0 0
flash
My son's 79 vert had fuel injection.  We had it removed and a regular carb put on.  Much better. 
Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
68autobug

We didn't get fuel injection on any beetle only the type 3 fastback...

Best to look carefully...

and don't rush in...

although its easy to say that....

as I found a 1974 standard Beetle a few years ago , only a few streets away..

It didn't go... although the engine turned over...

but after it was towed home....

It didn't take long to have to idling over etc..

The woman owners brother was a Mechanic...

but didn't seem to know much about VWs, and certainly didn't have a service or workshop manual....

He had fiddled with everything....

anyway, I started to find bits of rust here & there...

heater channels and roof channel....

My Son took it home to fix the rust, but it turned out to be

much more rusted than it looked...  so He fixed what He had found and sold it... its now running around the streets in a town close by...

but when I first saw it, I thought I must have it.....

Lee  68AutoBug  Australia

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi Loren,

I could do with some of Your hot Arizona desert warmth at the moment.

Its a bit wintery down here...

Lee

-
Quote 0 0
flash

Lee.. It was 105 degrees today. It hasn't rained in over 100 days.

But, here in the Sonoran desert you can drive your V-dub everyday.

Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0

Lee has some very good points when you start looking for the VW  you want to call "yours".  While you can forgive a lot of things (worn interior, balding tires, etc , etc) rust is our #1 enemy.  Make sure you have the time and $$ for restoration (i.e. to make it safe also) if there's considerable rust.  If you haven't picked one up yet, buy John Muir's "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" (aka "the idiot book").  One complete chapter on evaluating a potential purchase.  Some of the points may be a little esoteric, but a very good overview of things to consider.  But rust on the underbelly has significant dollars and time involved.  Good luck.

Quote 0 0
MLTigger
flash wrote:

I have a 73 Super with a single original carb and I'k getting 27 MPG with the AC on.

Loren

Did you install the AC or was it already there?  I'd like more info if you installed it

Price, What's involved etc.

Quote 0 0
flash

I bought the car new in 73 with AC. I did, however after many years have the compressor replaced with a newer lighter less drag version. 

One of the ladies in our VW club had a 70 standard bug and had AC installed to the tune of $1500.  They didn't use the correct bracket set-up for the compressor and had to cut a 4" round hole in the deck lid so it would close.  They put a chrome scoop over the hole.  Looked like hell.

I wouldn't own a car without AC here in Arizona.

Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
YELLRHD

gilmore_enterprises.com

They have everything you need to install A/C

Everything fits well and you can do it yourself with some basic mechanical knowlege.

Quote 0 0