ljohn

Well ordered my replacement seats for my 73 Super today out of Arizona

add says rust free.....Going to try to take additional seat springs from the old set and install under the middle of seats of the new ones see if that helps any, Going to reuse original seat cover they are in good shape except where the seat back-rest button it is longitude a little will take both driver and passenger covers to a upholstery shop and have a contrasting blue section put sewed in on both sides.

Planning on using the ejected molded replacement parts, Guess we will see if that hot desert that several buggers bragging about that no rust problem.

Suppose to be here Thursday, These are from a 73 also.......John

LJohn
Quote 0 0
flash

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I live in Arizona.  Never..ever heard of seats rusting. Isn't rust damage usually on the outside of the body?

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

In the humid areas everything rust regardless if it inside or out.

Quote 0 0
ljohn

In VT everything rusts...It has a sun-roof and apparently it leaked and previous owners did not take any action to stop the leak or

to deal with the water that was soaked up by the carpet and it then

it sat in storage....They do not use to much salt on the roads these days

but over 30yrs ago the did...

Well Flash guess will see when my seat frames come in if the bragging

about not rust holds up........

My drivers seat would not stay put so it was welded to the track so the daughter could drive it and the passenger side the actual part that is in the track has rusted so that the guide slide will no longer stay on.

But that will all be redone .....hopefully    

LJohn
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Seats came in Saturday have got to say structurally they are solid

had a broken spring on one swaped out the old one for it. Only other issue I have was the salvage yard Parts Auto Mall  in Arizona told me the plastics was on one of the seats and neither had them, sent them an e-mail would be surprised if anything is done......I have them stripped and repainted to be recovered. 

LJohn
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Wow,

Rusted seats....

What next??

We don't even see rusted fenders down here...

doors yes....

but I didn't ever think I'd hear of seat frames etc being too rusted....

but salt and salt air do attack most metals....

What color did you paint the seat frames???

black??

I want to paint mine...

Lee Noonan - 68Autobug - Australia -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Hi Lee, Painted the springs themselves black going to be covered anyway, But went to the local hardware store and matched up the original greenish/blue as close as I could they look good. This morning I went to the storage area and pulled the back seat and the drivers side out had to cut the drivers side out as I stated it was welded in. Of course the first leg cut nice jigsaw the second SNAP there goes the only blade I had, Being I'm replacing the floor and it was kind of ripe I chiseled it out of course no chisel and broke a screwdriver I have plenty of tools just not at the storage area, but got it out. Built a 8ft work-bench in the basement yesterday now that's my winter project to get the seats back to original condition as I can. 

Funny the parts I expected to be good on the car seems rough and the parts I expected to be rusted are not...........Merry X-Mas...............John

LJohn
Quote 0 0