nipper552003
About 6 weeks ago I put NellyBelle (my '64 Bug restoration) into the paintshop for new L87 Pearl White, and trusted her to a crusty old guy who's been painting and restoring hotrods for 30 years. I saw her today after all the bodywork (she was a mostly original Phoenix dried up hag), sanding to bare metal, priming, sealing and painting with clearcoat over. All I could say was "Oh my God!..." The change is astounding, and in 2 or 3 days, I will start putting her back together with all new everything. Just in time, I might add, as I found out today I have a nasty tumor in my colon which is going to have to be wacked out very soon. I really needed a shot of happy juice after that news, I want to tell you! Since I work in an operating room, I know what all this entails and what's coming down the road, and I'm a bit freaked out. But my car is looking beautiful, and I wish I would've been able to show her this fall.
John Scribner
Quote 0 0
Wayne
John,

We all wish you the best of luck with your health. I know these things can be very scary but I'm sure that everything is going to work out fine.

Give it a few months and you'll be cruising around in your freshly painted Bug with a great big smile on your face
Quote 0 0
mikeyD
A close family member of mine just had the same thing. He's home now and doing very well. A bit sore for awhile, but that is to be expected. The surgery was no problem, even considering he's 84 yrs old. I'm sure you'll be just fine. Our prayers are with you.
Quote 0 0
nipper552003
Thanks guys!
I am blessed with an angel watching over me (my wife of 27 years) and I definitely plan on having my NellyBelle out on the road in the spring!
John Scribner
Quote 0 0
Wayne
John,

Let's do a feature on your Beetle in the spring. Get it all shined up, take a few pictures and write her story. We put it up in the Spotlight section here at SuperBeetles.Com for all to see. Now you've really got something to look forward to:thumb
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey Nipper. Hang in there bud ! While I haven't had that procedure, I had the specific joy of a fistula which became abcessed, ie 2 opperations in 3 months. It's a bit unnerving at first, but the doc's generally know what they are doing, and it'll all work out fine !! Besides, before it's all over, you will have lost any remnant of shyness you may have had. Be well.

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0
nipper552003
Hey Bernard- Talk about losing shyness... I work in the operating room, and my co-workers are the ones involved in my care When I went to the procedure room to have my scope, they were all lined up and I had to shoo them out of the room. (all a gag, of course) I had to bare my booty in front of some of very girls I've known, worked with and supervised for 20 years!! I've always said being a male nurse in my department is like being married to 30 women, with all the hassles and none of the benefits! Now they are debating on who gets the honor of shaving me for my colon resection. I am waiting on a second opinion on the pathology report, and then on from there. Keep on buggin'..
John
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey John. Yoowww, your description got my attention !! "I've always said being a male nurse in my department is like being married to 30 women, with all the hassles and none of the benefits!" This is a very frightening description to a 'want to die single' bachelor like me But then, after the ribbing/lecturing/mothering, you will get the best possible treatment/attention that is possible. As for the shaving bit, well, I highly recommend you turn the tables on them and set up some sort of lottery/raffle/auction to determine who gets the honor of wielding the razor (otherwise 29 of them will grumble) and you can use the procedes to supliment your down time, buy VW parts, or donate to the childrens center, etc. Keep up the good humor and keep us posted on how you are doing. I think I speak for many when I say "I've never met you, but I care about you."

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0
nipper552003
Thanks, Bernard..
Here's the classic "What NOT to do when you get your car back from the painter's". I picked up NellyBelle from the painter's shop, and had to meke several trips, since she is in pieces and gutted. She is absolutely beautiful. I towed her home using my tow-bar, and went back in several trips for the fenders , doors and misc. small pieces. I took the first fender ever so carefully out of my Grand Cherokee, laid it on the front porch, turned my back to get the second fender out of the Jeep,heard a rattle and turned around just in time to see my freshly painted front fender picked up by the wind, and flipped of the porch right into my gravel drive. You guessed it, the paint was horribly chipped. I had to go back to the painter and explain what happened... he just looked at me with a disgusted "You dumb s**t look". I would never have guessed that a steel fender would fly like that, but it did...
If I make ALL the mistakes this time around, will number 2 go any easier??
John Scribner
Quote 0 0
68autobug
It Must be easier the second time round John....
I would never do it again though....
Its much better to ride in a VW than spend all Your time restoring it...
Best wishes for the operation...
The fender only blew away because everything was going too good... something Has to go wrong... thats the Law...

Lee
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0