spartman
Hello all, I was introduced to this group by bumblebee73.

I found these bugs in my local yard and was wondering if you fellows could help me to identify them and tell which ones would make decent restoration candidates?

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/spartman/vws%20at%20yard/

Thanks to all

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Wow.  What I am seeing is a mixed bag of standard and super beetles but by and large they have been picked for a load of parts and remain as parts cars unless you can find one with an especially good body ( structural stuff, heater channels, floor pans, head frame etc.)  that they are willing to part with for a song.  A lot of this comes down to the level of skills you have and how much time and money you have to devote to the project.  I would be more inclined to shop for an intact bug and use this yard as a parts source as there is definitely some good stuff there, just not a lot of stuff on one car.
Quote 0 0
flash

Where are you? You didn't list it in your profile.  Those are shells of VW bugs.  I know where there's 4 just sitting here in Arizona...rust free.  Sometimes I think it would be cheaper on you guys in the rust-belt to come out here and trailer one home.  Considering how much money you have to put in trying to rebuild.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
staticattic
I agree with MY72BUG. Mine took over 2 years to mostly restore, and it was totally drivable when I got it. It really depends on your skill sets, money, time, and PATIENCE.

If you did take on one of those cars and totally restored it to show quality and kept it safely stored in an environmentally controlled area until a show comes around, any of those would be cool to show before and after shots. If you are just looking for a daily driver that you can tinker with and fix up, just my $.02, but I think you would spend WAY more money than needed to buy a comparable decent daily driver.

Besides, I know if I took one of those and did some Jesse James or Chip Foose magic to it, and someone even looked like they were about to bump it, I would crack some skulls.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
spartman
I am in South Dakota

So these are exactly what they look like then, junkers?

Quote 0 0
flash

spartman wrote:
I am in South Dakota

So these are exactly what they look like then, junkers?

YEP.
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
olspeed
I think that's why they are in a junk yard! I agree with MYBUG72 except I think that a song is to much for most of them,(unless it's just a little ditty) If you want to get in to the hobby or are even looking for a daily driver you need to get a running car or at least a car that rolls and is mostly complete. Unless you find an old split or old coach built that's just laying around rusting (possible but unlikely) I wouldn't go to the junk yard to shop for cars.(just my thoughts!)
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Pass.
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Yes,
I would leave them there...
it looks like if you had them all
it would take a lot of money and time to make a good driveable car out of them...

I did notice number 12 is actually a "standard" beetle
that is a low cost beetle which i thought was only available in Europe..
look at the standard steering wheel and horn button..
rare...

but carwise, its much better to find one You can still drive
or at least find one with all the windows intact and not full of water...

I bought My 68 Beetle in 1996 and drove it home [180kms]
it was registered to drive on the road..
I then pulled it apart and replaced just about everything on it.. not because the bits were worn out...
because I wanted it to drive like new and have no breakdowns... or parts wearing out...

it ended up costing Me about $8,000 over 12 years...
I'm still buying accessories and spares..

but it holds the road like a new one
and i know that a tie rod end or ball joint etc
 isn't going to fall apart at any time...

best of luck finding a beetle

it IS worth it once you find one...

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
Drifty
Hey Spartman.........the aircooled VW is the most ubiquitous vehicle ever produced.........more units were produced (by far) than any other car ever...I'm sure someone here can give you the stats....wherever you live (virtually any corner of the globe)...with a little patience you can find a worthy VW to drive or restore...you don't need to comb the junkyards...look around..place an ad in the Pennysaver...check eBay...AutoTrader........
Never teach a pig to sing. It cann't be done and it irritates the pig.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
One last thought: There is all the difference in the world between "junk" and parts cars.  The junk is fit for weight - crush it and cash it in.  NO old beetle should be crushed.  There are always some parts there that are not aftermarketed and that could help to save a running bug.  When I was restoring MY72BUG a guy up here near Wiarton, Ont. gave me running access to his personal VW wrecking yard - over 30 VW's of every description parked in a field behind his rural house.  I picked and paid sometimes with cash and sometimes with labour.  I can't imagine what my restoration would have cost without his yard as a resource.  Two years ago he had to sell the land and after some last minute rescue of parts the rest was crushed - gone forever.  I even managed to find a $100 wreck of my own which I picked apart for a host of stuff both needed now and valuable in the future.  Then that car was crushed.  When I think what went with it I hang my head in shame.
Quote 0 0