shortcake Show full post »
Tobra wrote:
Flat four is a flat four, you just get a radiator and all theother stuff in a Subie. Keep a tire pump in the car, in case you get a flat and the spare has gone flat. Somewhere around here there is a list of stuff to always carry, points, rotor, cap, plugs, oil, fan belt, accelerator cable etc. You will be stunned how well a bug does in the arctic tundra

I'd have to disagree... while the design of the engine is the same... that's like saying all V6's are the same... it's very different. I don't know if you've worked on a subie but it's already been very different just looking at the beetle nevermind working on it.
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey there Jeremy, pleased to meet you. LOL, the two of you using the same name would explain why I thought I was posting to a schizophrenic (just kidding). And yes, there are some parts or systems on VW's that are not too common, but still fairly simple, just odd at first. It'll be a snap in no time.
Well Beverly, looks like you bought yourself quite the nice bug; I'm sure you will enjoy it. I think its great that you show so much interest in learning, and don't mind the questions one bit. I couldn't think there was anything wrong with that when I've tried to answer all your questions, now could I ? LOL, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next salvo... Be well.

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0
same to you Bernard. Actually... there are times when I feel like a schizo... oh and Moe says hi - haha

Anyway... I was under the car yesterday taking a peek and here's some more questions... and if you have no clue just point me in the right direction...

I know the FI bugs have cats, and I'm assuming that's what those long (almost muffler looking) tubes are? If so, it's the weirdest setup I've ever seen. There's some sort of flexible tube that's attached towards the rear of both cats. If they were solid and I didn't know any better I'd say there was a turbo running in there. What are those for?

Also, on the intake (I pulled that off yesterday) there's a small hose that runs from the main chamber back into itself... except that it's not open at all... it's like a vaccuum line but into itself and does nothing from what I can tell - is something wrong? It doesn't make sense at all... if need be I can take pics of that to help visualize.

I've noticed there's a LOT of oil underneath that's coated the driver's side cat and a lot of the oilpan (I'm assuming that's what that is) what is the most common place to look for leaks?

There is a spout that says OEL - I'm assuming that's german or something for OIL? I opened it yesterday after the car had been sitting for 10-15 and out came some blue smoke and smelled like burning oil - I'd say that's not a good thing!

And now for a couple purely performance questions... K&N Filters... I found the P/N but is it really worth it and how hard is it to adapt it? I'm assuming it's just a panel that would go into the stock box? Bev wants her car to sound like mine. I've got a nice loud rumble to it. I know that 1600CC doesn't flow as much air as my 2.5L I also know it has nothing to do with airflow and more to do with the pulses and resonation. I've heard about bugpack - how good are those and what are some other options? I've been thinking about a custom setup for her (like a flowmaster muffler with custom piping)what are your thoughts there?

Also, anyone else that knows alot about these things can pipe up
Quote 0 0
Matt
The Cat looking things, if on each side of the engine, and have a tube attached to the back end of them running in towards the car, these are probably the the heater boxes. The have air that runs through them over the exaust that gets heated and then routed into the car. a heater persay.
but then i could be wrong, never looked under An FI before.
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey Jeremy. I don't really mind how many people are in your head; as long are there are no arguements, everything is fine... Matt is correct, those 'cat' looking things are your heaterboxes. They are fed from the fan shroud and blow air over the exhaust into the cabin. The heater usually has two settings, off and Sahara. If you ever smell exhaust comming from the heater ports your exhaust is leaking in or near the heater boxes.
About your mystery vacuum line, I'm not sure. A picture would help a lot. We have slightly different set ups (for example, your EGR valve is vacuum actuated where mine, on a '78 convert, has manual linkage from the throttle. Also, I do not know if your distributor has 1 or 2 vacuum lines. My manual covers your car, and I wouldnt mind trying to determine what it is/if its correct.
Best place to look for leaks is EVERYWHERE !! No, seriously, if you have OEL (yes, you are right about that) on your heater box that valve cover gasket is probably leaking. You just flip the bale above the heaterbox (with a screw driver unless you have STRONG hands) and off it comes. I highly recommend not removing the valve cover until you have new gaskets. You also may want to sticky/seal the gasket into the valve cover. It makes the installation/positioning easier. Some of the more common leak areas are the push rod tubes, cylinder heads at the case, maybe oel pan or rear main seal. I recommend cleaning off as much as possible with rags/engine cleaner then driving it and looking again. Also, there is a thread just under this one about finding oel leaks which may help.
You probably shouldn't have blue smoke comming out of the oel filler tube, but that may be vapor also ? A good aftermarket installation is an oel temp gauge. I haven't done it yet, but I don't drive the car but locally as of yet.
The best and cheapest way to 'beef up' a stock motor is to get it to breathe and fart well. The K&N should help, and I would assume it fits in the stock cleaner, but they should be able to tell you if you call. As for exhaust, I don't know. I'm running this one stock until parts begin to expire, and my dune buggy experience doesn't really apply. Look around in the 'High Performance' forum; I'm sure there is information there. If that doesn't answer everything, start a specific thread. Ryan is a great source for that stuff. Also, Wayne and others are big fans of Pertronic (?) electronic ignition. Power boost (small I think) but pays for its self quickly via points and gas milage. This is something I plan to do also. Red Line Fuel System Cleaner is something anyone with FI should use occasionally. It goes in my Bug and 140 HP motorcycle. Ok, thats it for now. Be well.

Bernard
Quote 0 0
I think Jer wanted me to post these...

PS. Nice to meet you all. I'm Bev's brother Jeff.
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey Jeff, thanks much for posting them, and pleased to meet ya. Jeremy, sorry, but I have no tube like that or even openings on my air box, so I don't know what to say. If we are looking at the same thing (1.5"+ flex metal tube) that is definitely not a vacuum line, it is something like a heat riser bypass or equalization tube. Vacuum lines are always small (3-4mm ID). If I have misidentified the item, use Paint or something to point out/highlight it and repost it. I will refer to my manual tommorrow and try to make heads or tails of it. One interesting thing I noticed was the reversal of the two flex tubes on the right side of your engine as opposed to mine. Dont worry, yours are correct. Mine are wrong... BAD, LOL. They were hooked up when I got the car and I never checked. The hose 'going' to the heater box is really blowing on the cylinder head while the hot air intake (from the cylinder) is really sucking from the heater box. I helped myself by trying to help you. Wow, karma in action; I suddenly feel better about the world. I dont like the oel leaks I see, and will investigate re-torquing the heads and tell you what I find; this may help some of your oozing. Much of mine is from the tranny tho I'm looking to move, and hopefully I can find a place with a garage. It looks like a tear down may be in order... Sorry this didn't help much, but I will thump the manual tomorrow and let you know.

Bernard
Quote 0 0
shortcake
I filled up my washer fluid the other day, hooked it up to the spare tire, and it started leaking inside the car under the dash on the drivers side. Any ideas of where exactly it is leaking from or what I should do to fix it?
1975 SB - green - stock
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey Beverley. About all you can do is pull everything from the bonnet and trace the washer fluid line. It goes into the interior but it may be leaking and running down behind the instrument pannel. Sounds like a bad connection, cracked or rubbing/pinched hose. Does it leak constantly, or just when you use it ? That would tell you if the leak is before or after the switch mechanism on the steering column. You may be able to see the connections on the steering column if you remove any shielding, otherwise its a 'pull the steering wheel' job. I haven't had a chance to look into the head-retorqueing yet, but I'll get there soon. Good luck.
Quote 0 0
shortcake
It was leaking before I was able to see if it actually worked. I'm gonna have to consult the men and check it out, I'm still learning about these things. With the kind of weather we experience from day to day I definitly need to figure this one out.
1975 SB - green - stock
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Ok, sounds like you have a leak before or at the switch on the steering column. Hopefully it is just a crack in the hose or a connection problem. Let me know what is found. Good luck.

Bernard
Quote 0 0
shortcake
Does anyone know where I can look for new parts for a sunroof...I need new rear flappers (not quite sure if that is the right word, my dad is just assuming that is what they are called...:lol
1975 SB - green - stock
Quote 0 0
Hi Beverly, for sunroof parts I would try http://www.cip1.com, http://www.wolfsburgwest.com, http://www.bughaus.com, http://www.mamotorworks.com
I have done business with all of these places and like them all. Some charge more than others for certain parts, so shop around. Just make sure you order parts for the 1973 and up sunroof. The 1971 and 1972 Beetles/superbeetles had similar sunroofs.

I too have a 1975 Super Beetle "La Grande Bug". I was able to find an original owners manual from bently publishers. I think they are still available. Click on this link http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=rb75

I have a website dedicated to my "La Grande Bug" http://75_super.tripod.com

Here is another link I think you will like.
http://www.sebeetles.com/lagrandebug.htm

If you click on the "contents" link at the top of the page it will give you a complete listing of all of the VW special editions and pictures of them.

I think the link to my email is broken on my website, so please feel free to email me with any questions you have regarding your bug. I can probably answer them, or atleast direct you toward the answer.

madhatter_1968@yahoo.com

Quote 0 0