jdca4503
Had my 73 Super re-painted by Earl Scheib just a little over 2 years ago. Everything was removed prior to painting, and I sent it down to them.  Paid about $550 for their Silver Premium job, which included sanding, priming, paint and clear-coat.  At about 18 months, I noticed paint coming off just under the doors, just above the running boards.  Then, about 2 weeks ago, a large circular area of paint on top opened up like a flower!  The present condition of the paint on the top and hood looks like someone sliced and diced it all over, so I guess that it is "cracking"!  I went to the Earl Scheib website, and to my surprise, Earl Scheib stopped honoring their customers warranties effective 6/10/10, and also effective that date, all of their shops were now independently owned, and also would not honor any warranties.  I understand that you get what you pay for, but I thought at least if something started going wrong, at least I could get it fixed.  Never again, that's for sure.

Anyway, my question is this:  Given the state of the paint as previously mentioned, what will I have to do to prep it myself for another paint job?  Strip it completely down to the bare metal?  Any help you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Regards, John
Quote 0 0
dizi

are you wanting to repaint the whole car or just fix the spots???

you did what???
Quote 0 0
jdca4503
I want to re-paint the whole car.

Quote 0 0
olspeed
If they didn't take it down to bare metal (at that price I'll bet they didn't)then all you should have to do is to take it back down to the OG paint, it's still a lot of work but easier that going to bare metal.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Ok, I am probably not going to tell you what you want to hear, but I'd like to share what I've learned about preparing cars for paint. I want to mention that I'm not a painter myself, but I know about a dozen really good painters here in Phx. I've had this same conversation with all of them at one time or another, so I'm pretty comfortable with the info I'm passing on.

Find yourself a painter whom you can feel good about doing business with. Ask to see their portfolio, and more importantly, ask to see some of their current projects. Pictures are nice, but being able to look closely at something your painter's working on is much better. Ask them whether or not they'll accept a job if you've done the prep work, and if so, whether they'll provide advice to you on getting the prep completed to their standards. There  are a lot of painters who will not paint a car they have not prepared or had prepared by someone they trust. It isn't because they're greedy and want to stick you for more work (well, some of them I'm sure it is, but not the ones you'd want to let near your car), but because it's THEIR reputation on the line. Paint is only as good as the prep work, and so painters are sometimes very picky about what state jobs should be in before they take them on. You're only helping yourself out if you ask your chosen painter before you start spenting time and money scrubbing off the earl scheib stain. If they won't take the car with you prepping it, you can either keep looking or see if they're willing to work with you to save costs without compromising the quality of the finished product. I'm not sure what rates are in your area, but a decent paint job from a reputable shop here would be 2500 bucks minimum, and for something excellent, probably in the 4-5000 dollar range (assuming you don't know someone or aren't able to work out some kind of a trade/deal). A little bit of leg work here could end up saving you a lot of time and work, or a lot of money, so it's worth it.

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0