s0cks

My new project, as many of you know is a '73 super beetle. This car, as far as I know, was in a bad wreck. The entire front end (even the front quarters) need either body work, or replacement. The engine is in good shape, even though it at one time had diesel in it. The engine ran, although didn't idle, very roughly. Then I made a mistake, which I am still trying to sort out, with the plug wires. Other than that, the left side floor pan needs replacing, although the right is in good condition. The car needs a new spare tire, all new bits in the front, although some will be saved with lots of body work, a new running board on the left side, a new front windscreen, a new exhaust, and new suspension. I am a 15 year old student, so this could take a long time, but I hope to get it into daily driver shape by next January, so that I can drive it solo for my first time driving without supervision. Other than that, I am working outside, with minimal tools. This will be a real poor man's bug, but it will have enough love and care to make it nice all the same. The engine, from what I can tell, has an aftermarket cam. The big Engle cams sticker is a dead give away. Also, for some odd reason, it came with two sets of different plates. I will have to get that sorted out before I try to get new plates. The car was purchased for 400, although the dude now says I only owe a total of 300. It is over half paid, and this is the second month I have it. I am a VW n00b, but I am learning as I go, with the help of my sister. Anyways, I will keep stuff updated as I go through this article. The car's name is undecided at this point, but I am deciding between Kylie, Erika, and Sky.

73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Wayne

It sounds like you really have your hands full with that one. Was there anything else around in better shape for only a bit more cash?

PS: Post a picture of it so far.

Quote 0 0
s0cks
I got pics here. I really wanna make this one beast. I am on the east coast, so no.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Wow,

Save for that one crunch... and the floor pan issues... she looks like a good keeper!

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
s0cks
Yeah. Everyone else thinks I am nuts, but I think I got a decent deal. You forgot to mention the suspension, btw.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
chrissamuels

to me that seems like a good deal, i paid nearly 3500 for mine after having it shipped, when i bought it a year and a half ago, when i was 14, and it had a good body and paint, but i still later found that it needed a patch on the floorpan, it dosent look like the body work is that horrible, mostly fenders, bumpers and the quarter panel, but be careful, try and get oem fenders, the new ones are thin metal, and you need to get pairs because the design will look slightly off if you don't. good luck, and man i'm 16 now, i wish that i could drive, here in nj, i have to be 17 to get my restricted, i'm on my permit, and because of insurance matters i can't legally drive the beetle even with my mom next to me, but i just bought a bmw z3 after relizing that the beetle just couldn't be the daily driver, and that should suffice  i guess i'm spoiled. But I simply couldn't find any of the limited insurance companies here in nj to insure it for what it is worth, and i guess that my mom felt sorry for me. Good luck! It is such rewarding work.

Chris 

Quote 0 0
68autobug

Best of luck with Your restoration....

as I said on another posting, I've never seen rust around the headlamps like You fellows have over there.....   I guess it's the chemicals used on the icey roads that do the damage.....  I have painted under My fenders with killrust paint... I'm even thinking off sticking some foam material, its used for matting  when doing exercises, yoga, etc....  it seems to be water proof..

I have used it extensively thru My beetle as a sound deadener....

Auto Insurance for young people is quite unreal....

Best of Luck

Lee Noonan    68AutoBug  Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0