Icarus

Hey everyone. What a great Forum. Long time reader first time poster. I have a 73 super all stock with over 500,000 miles. The engine has been through 6 rebuilds under the loving guidance of either my father (the original owner) or myself, and the old girl runs like brand new. I have owed a plethora of other vehicles, classic and new, and in my opinion the VW beetle has to be the greatest car ever made. Anyway I'm preaching to the choir. The reason for this post is I am looking to squeeze a little more power out of the stock motor. I do plan on eventually building a 1800cc stroker, but until I do I'm looking for a little more oomphh from the stocker. I'm just looking for advice on the best power vs. cash outlay. I've been looking at doing some light header work, smoothing out the sharp bend in the exhaust port because that would  cost me nothing but my time. With the light header work 1.25 to 1 ratio rockers, extractor exhaust, Centrifugal distributor ( Bosch 010) , hotter coil and maybe a new carb like 32/36DFEV or 36DCNF Weber or maybe dual kadrons how much more zip can I expect? Keep in mind I'm saving the strip for the 1800cc, I just need more power for freeway on ramps and the like. Some have recommended I have the Flywheel lightened to around 13 lbs, but I'm not sure thats wise on an all stock motor, seem to me that may really affect the smoothness of the motor rev'n up. Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Quote 0 0
s0cks
Wow, that's alot of miles. My sister likes to brag that she rolled hers 3 times while she owned it, which totals 300,000 miles on her watch. That was with 02*** on the odometer, which meant it had at least 400,000. She never rebuilt it, but probably the owner before her did.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Icarus

Tell me about it. A trip to the moon and back is about 480,000 miles. It feels good owning a Beetle that has more miles on it than Apollo 11.

Quote 0 0