NoH2O

Has anyone tried, or know of someone who has succesfully, restored the wood slats on the old racks? The one on my 63 is missing a couple and I'd like to redo it. The rest of the rack is nice but I'd like it to be complete. The slats seem to be held on with large rivets of sorts. I'd rather not drill these out to replace the slats if I'm not able to find a close match. I'm definitely not a purist, but I'd like it to look nice. Also, anyone know for sure what type of wood it is?

Thanks,

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
dods1600

You could actually make your own slats for that, by bending some vaneers and rubber ply(uni-directional plywood). and I'm not sure from looking at the pic but I would say it is maple just because it is the most common laminated vaneer. Hope your search goes well anyhow.

1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
NoH2O

I definitely will be making my own slats. They appear to be solid pieces of wood, without veneer. I was thinking maybe oak. At least that was what I was going to use. I plan on finishing them in multiple coats of marine varnish. I believe this should have some staying power. My main concern is finding comparable rivets because to the best of my knowledge the only way to get the slats off is to drill the rivets out. It's an old rack and I'd hate to screw it up.

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0