74AUTOSTICK Show full post »
nipper552003

Somewhere between 70 and 100 mph in an air-cooled VW (reasonably stock) the world gets very different.  The front-end starts to shimmy, the car develops an unnerving vibration, and you feel like you are barreling down the road in Cinderella's pumpkin gone mad.  Sorry, I'll stay at a more leisure 55-60 in my old bug and let the world pass by...

John Scribner

Quote 0 0
flash

That may be true with the non-super beetle v-dubs, however I think with the McPherson struts on the front end and the improvements made overall to the Supers crusin' at 70+ is less of a thrill ride.  I have had some scary moments though.  I was with my 85 year old mother doing 75 at night when I hit something on the road and it blew my left rear tire.  Of course I was in heavy traffic on the freeway in the far left lane.  By the time I hit the emergency flasher and worked my way across traffic the tire was shredded and my chrome rim ruined.  Was very fortunate that night in more ways than one.  A Navajo Indian security guard in a 65 VW bug came along and helped me.  Another time in the wee hours of the morning doing in the 70's I noticed what I thought was my headlights getting dimmer...then the dash lights....then BAM...total darkness.  Flyin' down the a seldom used highway in the dark. You know the rest of the story once I stopped and shut her down...that's all she wrote.  We had to camp out all night in the bug waiting for daylight and a jump.  My wife wasn't very pleased with "The Blues" that night. Such is the life of a VW Bug owner.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
nipper552003
Flash- you are absolutely right... I can only speak about the old bugs, as I've never owned a Super (nothing against them, they are great cars, and my brother has a sweet '73 Super Sport edition that I drool over)  Old bugs which are stock just a little anemic in suspension, power, and braking to be running way fast.  At least IMHO.  Maybe we should have a "true stories" section, as anyone who's driven VW's for awhile surely has one.  When I was a long-haired teen-ager, I had an old ('69) bus.  My then girlfriend and I decided to breeze from Ohio to Virginia Beach for a long weekend.  We got in the mountains, and my bus vapor-locked almost to the top of a huge mountain.  A real briarhopper  at a gas station told me to just get her to the top of the hill, and let her coast down the other side to cool off my poor old bus.  I ALMOST took his advice, but decided not to... as it were, the grade was nearly straight down, and I think we would've been killed racing down the mountain w/out power and anemic brakes.  He probably thought he'd get rid of a couple of hippies and their hippy van with it's madras curtains....
John Scribner 
Quote 0 0
flash
John - I too had a VW bus, a 73 and as soon as we got it we packed up our collie and 2 small kids and headed to the mountains for a picnic.  Once we  started to climb everything went to Herkimer in a hand basket! I had to keep shifting down to go up the grade. When I had to drop down to first I knew we were in deep serious! The road was narrow and the drop off on the side was steep.  My only choice was to try to turn around. I wasn't able to pull that off and backed one of the rear wheels off the cliff.  YIPES!  Got the kids, wife and dog out.  Fortunately an old pick-up truck with some Mexican men who couldn't speak a word of English came along. They just picked the back end of the bus up and set it back on the road.  Turned out the dwell angle was off 25%.  Another exciting VW adventure that my wife loves to remind me about. 

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0