Hi all, recently bought a 74 VW Super Beetle, it is a running car looks very decent at 20 feet, has a number of rust bubbles, but to be expected at 33 YO and in original color paint. The floor pans are rusted out, possibly the heater channels, I have done floors and rockers before in other car. What key areas ar known to rust in these cars, and what is available for parts in the USA or Canada.Here is a pic of the Car, the running board mounts have rotted off on this side. The interior is in good shape............GoneBugs

Quote 0 0
ljohn
Any and all body parts are available mail-order.. Floor Pans , Heater Channels, Body Panels ...etc   J.Whitney, Mid American, CP1, Wolfsburg West just to mention a few. Needing floor pans you can purchase half,quarter or full pans for replacements. I found the "Bug Me" video's on these subjects to be very helpful in knowing what is to be done ,tools required and in what order.   I find most will not attempt to replace pans or heater channels maybe tools, work space, Free Time or no mechanical ability it is a big job and all has to be considered in before moving forward in this direction.....
LJohn
Quote 0 0

Thanx for your reply, I am fortunate as a I have a large shop at home, I do weld and have a welder, good size compressor etc. I am a novice still with body work, I have checked out CPI, the price fopr the sheet metal is very reasonable. I am also working on my 48 Chrys Coupe, it needed floor metal, rockers, and the floors in the trunk were rotten. I did the repairs myself, I chose to fab all the metal patches, using 18 g steel. The price to buy repros was out of reach for me. However the VW is uncharted territory for me, I am not sure as of yet, what wiil need to be replaced underneath.

Quote 0 0
ljohn

Thinking the price of a full floor pan with seat track in it at $89.00 would be awful hard to fabricate cheaper with the time involved probaly would not be a pretty job with the curves involved, maybe some straight sheet metal but even then I purchased the section between the drivers door and rear fender $15.00....has the first 6" or so of the inside wheel well where the fender screw bolt in. That is great you have an area to work and the tools OOoya the know how, Getting the last bit of tools together I need for my tear down last is butt weld clamps   .........Good luck............

LJohn
Quote 0 0
Toady

Butt weld clamps------Ouch! Sorry could'nt resist.

Quote 0 0
68autobug
We are lucky down here in Australia  that We don't have the major
rust problems that You have in North America and europe.
I beetle with rusted out heater channels usually are NOT repaired
down here unless its an ultra rare 1950> model...

its still possible to find late 50s model beetles over here with the heater channels still unrusted...
plus the front of the chassis never rusts out...

the major rust problem over here is with Beetles with the flow thru ventilation slots on the side...
the rust seems to start around there and go up to the rain channels and near the rear window...

I'm finding now that many beetles have been left out in the weather
for years... [especially near the coast]
and the doors and around the bonnet etc are rusted...
Also Super Beetles 1302S 1303S are more prone to rust than early non super beetles...

Lee - 68autobug - Australia -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0