s0cks Show full post »
aircooled299
It's not just an opinion. One of the things you will find out really fast is that with VW parts you often get what you pay for. Parts come in a variety of quality levels ranging from excellent to flimsy junk just waiting to rust through. Watch out for some of the shops that seem to undercut everyones prices. Quality costs about the same within a few bucks anywhere you go. At J.C. Whitney they do carry Bugpack which tends to be reasonable quality, but their other stuff is the same junk sold at so-cal parts and Kustom 1. Click on some of the links you see around this site, they sell quality parts. Mid-America is more expensive than most but they carry good parts. I am lucky, I live in so-cal so there are many local shops that carry qood parts at reasonable prices. Your bug sounds similar to my first one. It cost me $400 and was full of problems/rust. I had a lot of extra trouble because I would replace a part with a new one that often wasn't much better than what I took off. Enjoy your new car, I have had at least one aircooled vw since I was 17 and I'm 32 now.
-Patrick
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Many VW parts are made in Brazil, Mexico, Italy, Denmark etc....

None of them have the quality of the German made parts, but are much cheaper to purchase...
From My experiences, Mexican parts are the worst... Some Brazillian parts are OK & others are rubbish...
the other european parts are usually OK... sheet metal is usually thinner than the original German made stuff....
VW Parts made in the USA are usually OK...

The cost of buying genuine GERMAN made is probably too expensive..

Check out some of the VW Parts websites, as advertised on this forum.
for prices etc...

cheers

Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --
http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say avoid JC Whitney for body parts. They do carry EMPI, Bugpack, and a few other names in other applications, but as far as body parts go, try to go German or original bug parts. Check out the classifieds here. Swap meets are excellent sources for old parts. I picked up 2 rust free ft. fenders for my 74 for $40 a couple of weeks ago. Try putting a "wanted ad" in the classifieds here, or check out thesamba.com There are all kinds of people out there willing to help. Don't get in a hurry, do it right the first time and you'll enjoy that bug for a long time. Go over your list and PM me, I've got a decent little pile of stuff to get rid of. Good Luck man!!
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
s0cks
Well, right now, it looks like I need (for a 73 super)

Front bumper, and mounts
Headlight assemblies (both)
2 front fenders
Front Windshield
Handles (all for outside)
Running boards
Floorpans
Air filter box & filter
Hood latch assembly (front)
Exhaust system (not neccesary, but wanted)
Brake parts
Hubs & wheels (I am probably just going to black mine out, or paint them to match the body)
And probably more...

If you could jump on the chat applet right quick...

I need a car that won't rust out on me if I paint and primer it (with repairs to current rust), will run without much money put into (well) (Labor I can do), and will be reliable. This is probably asking alot of an old beetle, but I think I can pull it off. I have until January of next year to get the car in daily driver condition. I intend to get it there (I can do weekends, and weekdays in the summer) on time, and in good shape. I am a determined young lad, and money is the only problem. That said, how fast will the whitney floorboards rust? You guys are a great help. I am trying to get my friend to buy a 71 coupe in similar condition. The plan is to get them to our own tastes, with the same paint job. Hopefully, we can pull it off. If not, mine will still be hotter than anyone elses car at school.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
For most of the stuff on your list I would try to find junkyard parts especially fenders. New fenders are pretty light gauge and the bolt holes don't always line up. You can probably find the headlight stuff, and breather also. I have no memory so I can't go all the way down your list. If you live in an area where cars rust, you might check out Interstate Used Parts & Core Company. They are a junk yard in Lake Elsinore CA which is in the middle of the desert so no rust. I know they ship and I have walked their yard. It is FILLED with aircooled VW's. The website is http://www.interstateusedparts.com phone # is 909-471-5080. I have bought from them in the past and they are honest, and sell good parts. As far as floor boards go, I would get the absolute best I could afford as changing them out is a little labor intensive and you want to be happy with the results. I would also paint at least the battery area of the pan with P.O.R.15 as they love to rust under the battery. It's not cheap, but you won't need much and it costs les than repairing your brand new pans. Hope this helps out a bit, most importantly have fun 'cause that's what it's all about man. Every time you screw up you know one more way not to do it
-Patrick
Quote 0 0

hey i dont think that ur 1600 has 60 hp i think depending on the work done and if its stock it should have around 40 to 50 hp and also if your car has had a tune up and oil change. 60 hp is probably after you get dual carbs or probably a largert engine.

Quote 0 0
s0cks
It has an aftermarket cam, no air filter at the moment, and no true exhaust. It makes 60 horses. No problem.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee
Socks, I need help staying connected to irc. i stay idol and soon as i type something she disconnects help...

aaron
71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
s0cks
Hrm. Might be your client. Which are you using?
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee

MIRC

71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
s0cks

Check in your connection options. Try http://www.xchat.org. It could be a variety of things, but among the possibilities are :

Proxy Servers

Firewall settings

Port closure

Administrative booting from network

Resources conflict

High ping

Also, try a server closer to your house. One can be located at http://www.freenode.net.

Hope this helps!

73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0