IceCold74
Well, if you guys think a smaller steering wheel is all I need then I'll look more into just re-upholstering these seats and keeping them

Jeff
Quote 0 0
IceCold74
Okay, basically here is the deal. The original seats aren't in bad condition, however, the driver seat doesn't go far enough back for me to drive comfortably. Therefore, I hope to put 2 new seats in. My question is, is it easier to break the welds loose on the rails and riser, or just replace the entire floor pans?

Jeff
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Hey there. I'm trying to decide if I will reupholster my seats or go with aftermarket, so I may be able to help. Are you talking about new origional or after market seats ? Did you get your head down and see that you are all the way back in the rail, and not just obstructed ? What year car is it ? Mine is 78 and I'm 6"1' (34-36 inseam) and I dont believe I'm all the way back in adjustment. As for breaking welds or new floor pan, unless you NEED floor pans, drilling/grinding the rails would be by far easier (although I'm not sure this had to be done... will investigate for both of us). Let me know about the above...

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
Hold up, don't being grinding anything off to fast. Getting the seats out is a little tricky, but it can be done look at you VW service manual. I have Corbeau racing seats both driver side and passenger and I got them in. However, Corbeau wasn't to smart and in my bug a 1972 super beetle the runners are at and angle, so what I had to do is grind down the back part of the seat bracket so it would fit. Also, it came with no hardware, but a trip to home depot solved that. They just barely fit, but the are awesome, I even got lumbar. I am about 6' 2" and 190 pounds and these seats treat me good. Here is a link to Corbeau Corbeau, I don't think they sell my seats anymore, but others will fit I have the S4 or A4, I can't remember. I paid a pretttty penny though, with seats, lumbar and brackets it was about $1,000. They are awesome though and it is much better then the seat I had with a spring in my butt.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
IceCold74
Mine is a '74 Superbeetle. If I remember correctly (the seats are currently out of the car and in my garage), I just needed to scoot back another hair, but a big problem was my knees jamming up on the steering wheel when shifting because they sat up so high.

Jeff
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
Do you have a stock steering wheel? The Corbeaus do sit higher then the stock seats, but I have an aftermarket steering wheel which is smaller, so... I guess get a smaller steering wheel then.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
Precise1
Jeff, sorry, I obviously misunderstood your question. My suggestion would be to either go with a smaller steering wheel which can buy you several inches as sup73bk suggested and/or see if you can modify the position rail. If you have two guide rails (bottom) and a center rail (directly under seat) drilled in series with a pin lock (like mine) you could have a similiar drilled piece welded or bolted on to get you another 1"-1.5" as the last pin hole still gives about 2" in the guide rail. I checked. This would require some light fab work, but would be VERY minor. LOL how tall are you anyway (no need to answer); I noticed that I am on the last hole position, but is ok for me. If that is the type of seat you have and need a drawing for better explanation I will supply it. Good luck !

Bernard
Measure twice; Cut once....
Quote 0 0