SoCalJerry

My son was given my aunt's 1973 Super Beetle. She was the original owner and had the interior re-done and the exterior painted a few years ago. The car has been garage kept and not driven much in the last 10 years. My son cannot drive a stick and needs a car for his new job so we must sell it. Any suggestions? 

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I would be inclined to teach the son how to drive the standard.  It is one of those life skills that pays dividends later in life.  So he grinds a few while he's learning - no big deal with a Beetle.  It comes down to what degree was auntie's Bug treasured by the family.  If it is just a car with no sentimental value, put it on E-bay or Collector Car Trader.com and pass it on to someone who will keep it alive.  The worst case scenario is not using it - just letting it collect rust and dust.  The value of car goes down and the challenges for restoration go up.  A cruise through Collector Car Trader and an assessment by someone who knows Beetles will help you zero in on a suitable price if that is the direction you intend to go.
Quote 0 0
SoCalJerry
Well understood about the value of learning to drive a standard shift vehicle and I have taken him out on a dirt road several times to learn. He is nowhere near road ready - especially since we live in a suburb of Los Angeles that has a lot of impatient drivers in SUV's and trucks. I have seen firsthand the results of what "the basic law of tonage" does in a match-up between an SUV and a small car with few safety features. So, we have decided we should sell it.

That said, it is still a tough call to sell a car that's been in the family for 35 years. It just needs to go to someone that will "keep it alive" with TLC. I will try the sites you mentioned and see what I can find.   

Thanks! Jerry
Quote 0 0
Rocketj
Oh, Jerry~
Don't sell that car unless your son or you don't really want it. I was taught to drive a stick in a Bug. When I bought my first one my brother drove it home and then taught me how to drive it. I had great experiences learning that will never be regreted. I taught my son to drive in a stick shift Mustang. A bug is much more foregiving and everyone should learn to drive a stick shift (or just learn to drive) lol
It's an art and should remain so
Just my 2 cents
love to all
Rocky
Quote 0 0
kafertoys
I'm sure you would have no problem finding someone to trade for a automatic honda or toyota, I have people all the time wanting to trade other cars for beetles including a guy wanted to trad me his 72 corvette for a bug. I traded an engine for a sail boat. 

The 73 would make a great daily driver for him, he could afford to maintain it if he was willing to get his hands dirty. And he will always have the support of groups like this. 

A beetle is easy to learn to drive manual.
saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
ELON1974
If you're concerned about your son's proficiency level, just remember that (at least for me) I didn't really get stick until I had to go somewhere, the learning curve is different for different people, but I didn't really master it until I really really had to, all my practice runs with my dad in his wrangler left us by the side of the road
1974 SB - Lloyd
Quote 0 0
MattB

I remember learning to drive stick in my dad's F150 with 3 on the tree. I live in the country though so it was a little more forgiving. My dad gave me his own test before I could drive though. Stop on a steep hill and take off, Repeat, Repeat. Once I learned to drive that he let me drive and I was still 15. Again I live in the country us country folk get away with that. By the time I went to Drivers Ed I was a pro and my instructor would sleep. Most of us though were already really good drivers. Most of my friends had to learn in grain trucks and such. If you don't make him learn now he might miss out on some good chances. Like the one day were a guy from Callaway Corvettes brought one of there twin turbo Corvettes and let us drive it. Some people missed out and had to ride shotgun while I almost put my foot and the accelerator pedal through the floor board.

1974 Super
Quote 0 0
hurley209
well, the reason for sale is understood, but the guys are right, give him a week, and he'll be drivin that bug like a pro...
plus, beetles are great, soo many possibilities of things you can do with them, he can turn it in to a classic resto, a rad lil dragster, or a great handling german looker,,,, all in all id say keep it, what if one day you regret having sold it....

my grampa used to have a 56' dodge pickup, eventualy it was sold outta the family by my uncle, now everytime my father and i talk about  it, we wish we could have kept it in the family and wonder how the people who have it now are treating it, hell, it might be junked in somebodies drive way for all we know.

but at the end of this, it is totaly your decision, we understand every father wants their son to be safe, who wouldnt.... but hopefully you keep the car and enjoy it for years to come. father and son project maybe.

overall beetles are super rad fun cars.lol..
Quote 0 0