Sleepwalker
If you don't like it, just SAY so, you don't need to try to burn it down!!!

I was heading into work this morning when all of a sudden she was starved for fuel. Knowing what I know about Dubs the first thing I did was shut off the key and pull to the side of the road, then grabbed the fire extinguisher and headed for the engine. Luckily NO FIRE! But the engine compartment was in full steam and sprayed with fresh fuel. After about 15 minutes of sitting with extinguisher in hand watching for any sign of smoke or fire, I felt it had cooled enough to run to the bonnet and pull out a roll of Shop Towels and start soaking up the fuel.
Come to find out that the rubber fuel line between the hard line entering the engine compartment and the fuel pump had been disconnected, not "come loose".
The reason for even posting this is that there are a lot of other people that run with the deck lid off, for one reason or another. So I thought i would at least put the reminder out to those people.
In my bug I only use fine pitch Ideal clamps as they have never done my wrong at work or play. The hose clamp in question had been purposely loosened as it had about an 1/8th in gap all around the hose and was backed off to the last tooth. I assume this way it would look OK and not throw any flags that there was an issue. I can only guess that at some point someone took it upon them selves to set it up to fail.
Just a reminder to look before you drive!
We don't need any more Fire-fignugen Videos!

On the bright side, I guess this is a good enough reason to make the switch to the braided line and aircraft fittings I've been wanting, lol.

"He who knows enough to learn, knows enough"
Quote 0 0
staticattic
Wow. That totally sucks, dude. I ran with my decklid off for awhile, but finally put it back on. My wife thought I was leaving "too much temptation" to the neighborhood kids. I never had any problems, knock on wood, but I am kind of worried about presenting my baja to the world (if I ever finish it ). I am thinking if I start backing into my driveway and parking with the butt of my Bug pressed up close to the garage door, I should be somewhat protected from curious neighborhood kids.

Do you have any suspects? When it comes to vandals, I have learned the hard way, going to the cops really doesn't do much good. Unless the person actually sees the bad guy doing his deed, the cops really can't do to much. Hopefully, that will be an isolated incident. Good thing you caught it before real damage was done. 
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
bumblebee73

wow , lucky man, very lucky. glad you took care of it.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/my67truck/my%201641cc%20vw%20rail/

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi
thats really nasty...
worse than a vandal ??

someone was really out to burn your beetle...

the fuel hose I use is stainless steel covered and even when i take the hose clamps off
its nearly impossible to pull off...
and the rubber hose I use between the fuel regulator and the carburetor cannot be pulled off even with the hose clamps undone... I have to cut it off...

but these hoses are pushed onto barb fittings...
so maybe a plain piece of copper/steel pipe may be different...

those alloy fittings are really expensive...
I took My Son 100kms to buy some of those for His beetle engine a year ago, and they cost a packet...
too expensive for me....   lol

LEE

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
flash

Many years ago when we only had a carport...one of the little darlings in the neighborhod tore everything he could get his hand on off "The Blues."  He ripped the windowasher arms off.  My VW guy had to replace eveything in the engine that could be ripped out.  I have a locking deck lid now.  They caught him and his mom said..."Boys will be boys."

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker
Just getting back in from work today.
After making the needed repairs to the fuel system and cleaning the mess up, all seems to be well. Sure scared the heck out of me though.
For those of you asking, yes, I have a locking deck lid that stays on the car when she is home or it is raining out. But for the most part I run with no lid at all, I understand that chrome dies if it doesn't get enough sun light.
I did a bit of thinking today at work and decided that besides the braided fuel lines and aircraft connections, my alarm has the option to add a Prox. sensor to it. If I were to mount it in the engine compartment it would allow a perimeter to the rear of the car that once breached would trigger the alarm, after a warning chip. If I add a toggle switch to it I can enable it when there is no lid on the car.
And Lee your right, about $300 to do the complete conversion to the fuel line. But good peace of mind.
Quote 0 0
olspeed

Wow man that sucks! I would be hunting who ever with a big stick"maybe one that smokes" I think the braided lines might be in order. Go to a hydraulic hose shop as they might be cheaper than an aircraft shop and you still get the same style and material. It's just anything that has AERO in it's name is about twice the price. I know I never had any problems with my Baja but that was 20 years ago, that's one of the reasons for the 3" lift kit and then leaving the front and rear aprons on with my 76,I can cover and lock everything. Ifin ya want I can go snare one of our extra Wolfs or Grizzlies and ship I'm down to ya for a guard dog." you gota pay the freight though"

66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
YELLRHD
Glad to hear there wasn't any major damage.

Sounds more like someone got interupted or spooked while trying to steal a part.

Come to think of it I've never tried to see if my decklid locks I guess I better check it.

The thing about perimeter or motion sensor alarms is when you have to park in a parking lot (work/shopping) even the people who are just parking next to you could set it off just think if they spend to much time putting stuff in their trunk your alarm might go off then you get paged and have to go shut it off big PIA.

I always back in at home and have motion sensor lights that cover the entire area you'd be hard pressed to sneak up on one of my cars. But an alarm sounds like a good idea as long a squirrels can't set it off.
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi
Yes, I have sensor lights all around the rear of my house and yard
so they come on if you go near the carport or garage
plus if the dogs don't eat You....  lol

I have a remote alarm system in My car but i haven't connected the engine cover to it as yet..
My engine cover does have a lock
but I rarely lock it...

Car alarms in Australia have to go OFF within 30 seconds
of activation..  if no one is still touching it etc...

I rarely lock My beetle either...

but if I'm in a big city... the doors and engine cover all get locked

I also have a very bright flashing BLUE LED on My dash when the alarm is on...

I can also turn off My electric fuel pump...

but if I ever have trouble with thieves , I'll take the steering wheel with Me when i park the car...    lol

another trick would be to have a line lock hidden
so You can lock up the front wheels..

LEE

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
olspeed

Here ya go sleepwalker you need one of these sitting in the back!

66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
bumblebee73
olspeed wrote:

i don't care what anybody says , that's funny rite there!
LOL

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/my67truck/my%201641cc%20vw%20rail/

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker
LOL, Thanks!
I think that just might do the trick!
Quote 0 0
flash
bumblebee73 wrote:
olspeed wrote:

i don't care what anybody says , that's funny rite there!
LOL

This is what we have in Arizona to do the trick. Just fill your back seat.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
How much gas do you have left?

Reason I ask is because that almost sounds like tweekers stealing gas to me...

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
Drifty
GOOD LORD Loren....just the thought made me fill my drawers.....
Never teach a pig to sing. It cann't be done and it irritates the pig.
Quote 0 0