staticattic

Working on a military base, I have to roll my window down quite often to show gate guards my ID. Every since I have owned my bug, rolling the window down was a bit of a struggle, but rolling it back up was a two handed operation. Yesterday the inevitable finally happened. I got my window down to show the gate guard my ID, but when I went to begin the struggle of rolling it back up, my crank made a popping sound. Then it just started free turning backwards, making audible clicking noises. Uh oh, stripped out window regulator. If I had been looking for a way to simulate the sounds and movement of a Gatling gun crank, mine would have been performing beautifully. As it were, I was trying to get my now stuck, halfway rolled up window to close. I eventually managed to wrestle it back to the top, only minutes before the rain. Thankfully, the local VW shop had some regulators in stock, so I was able to pick one up yesterday afternoon. From the time I took my door panel off until the time I put it back on, it took me about 30 minutes to install. The only real "gotcha" is getting the vent wing post out of the way in order to remove the old regulator and get the new one in. One recommendation, wear long sleeves! My right arm looks like a cat scratching post. (I seem to bleed every time I work on my car. Maybe it is trying to tell me something.) The end result, my window now rolls up and down with ease.  I only wish I had not waited so long to do it...  

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Wayne

I feel your pain my brother. I did the same job with the same results...OUCH!

Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi
If the small gear wears too much on one side...
the side that winds the glass up and down,
You can drill out the rivets and then turn the gear over
so You are using the side of the gear that isn't worn...
then re-rivet or use small screws....

just make sure everything is lubricated...

I have about 7 spare winders hanging in My shed...
I oiled them then greased them with Lithium based Moly grease...
the blackish grease that works wonders
but is very messy, and is hard to get out of clothes...

Lee

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0