flash

Ok..this is driving me nuts.  The idle seems to have a mind of it's own and with the price of gas.....this is not good.   The idle runs fast at times and the  slows back down when it takes a mind to.  Used to be I could punch the gas pedal and it would back off.  That doesn't work any more.  I checked the choke linkage on the carb and everything is OK there.  Someone told me today to try this.  He said..prop the gas pedal up all the way and then disconnect the accelerator cable at the carb letting it relax to it's normal postion them retighten.  I remember when I got the car back from it's last overhaul a few months back it didn't have much guts and I discovered the cable wasn't set right and I fiddle with.  Wondering if that's what has been causing my problem.  Does what this guy told me sound like it could be the fix?  Someone else said to check the small hole where the cable comes into the engine compartment and see if the cable is hanging up there.  Guess I'll look at this stuff tomorrow morning.  I hope I can fix this without breaking something else!

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker
Hey Flash,
Sounds like some trouble I was having with mine a while ago. I found that the trouble with mine was the "secondary" return spring. They use this configuration, from what I can tell, due to the fact that without it the first time you stepped on the gas your main spring would stretch so far that it would have no chance or returning to shape. A little WD-40 went a long way in fixing mine. Spraying it on the spring with the arrow in the picture below. Hope that is all it is.
"He who knows enough to learn, knows enough"
Quote 0 0
flash

Thanks for the info.  I'll try that first tomorrow.

Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
flash

Sleepwalker wrote:
Hey Flash,
Sounds like some trouble I was having with mine a while ago. I found that the trouble with mine was the "secondary" return spring. They use this configuration, from what I can tell, due to the fact that without it the first time you stepped on the gas your main spring would stretch so far that it would have no chance or returning to shape. A little WD-40 went a long way in fixing mine. Spraying it on the spring with the arrow in the picture below. Hope that is all it is.

So I took a look this morning.  I don't have but one spring unlike your set-up.  See photo.  I did notice the hole in the back of the engine compartment where the wire comes out is weird.  The tubing sleeve is loose and sticks out about 1" from the back. I tried to take long screwdriver and shove it back so the circular end opening on the tube would be flush with the back.  It seems like it might wear on the cable with it loose like this.  How does one fix this???

Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker
Sorry Flash, thought you had the same carb.
The tube you are looking at goes through the Fan shroud as well as the engine fire wall tin. Most the time it is just loose in there. Sometimes it will work it's way to the rear and, if it has been cut short, it can pop out from the tin. Open your lid and look down behind the fan from the drivers side. Just the other side of the oil cooler you will see where it passes through. Might just need to reach in and line it back up to re-seat it. Adding a Hose clamp right behind the fan shroud, or firewall tin, will keep it from backing back out.
Quote 0 0
flash

There's no way to reach in there..least wise not very far.  Can't see in there either. Feels like a solid piece covering the back on the driver's side.  I can fell the actual fan blades back there when I reach in on the passenger side.  Looks like this a job for my VW mechanic.  Now if I can just figure out where to get the money to pay him.  It's always something!

Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker
If you have the "BugMe" video Vol 2 Rick actually goes over that tube (about 2-3min from the end)
Images below might help you in knowing what you are feeling for and where to find it.
Quote 0 0
flash

AH...HAAAA...that illustration is great. I will give it another go.

Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0