NYer_in_MI
Hiya fellow air-coolers!
Need to check out the VIN of my Super to check its real age.  Title says it's a 1973, but everything about it says it's a 1972.  Where do I go on this site to check the VIN?
New Yorker in Michigan
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum. You can find all the VIN's listed in the History section of the site. Hope this helps.
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
According to the "History" section of this site, my Super, who's VIN begins with "11220..." would, in fact, be a 1972 model year car and not 1973 as it says on the title.  Frankly, most everything about the car hints to it having been a '72... the oil bath air cleaner rather than paper ellement filter; the window wiper switch being on the "tree" and not on the dash (post dating it 1972 and onward); the flat windshield / dash as per early Supers and all Standards, post 1958 style; smaller, iron-shaped "Hella" tail lenses, etc etc.

How could the year have been mistaken on the title?  Is this common with older cars?  I had supposed, originally, that perhaps the car had simply been built / released late enough in the '72 year / early enough in the '73 year that it was sold as a 1973... though Gunter is clearly not so.

Hmmm.  V. v. thought provoking.
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
the VIN that starts with 112 would indicate a 1972 Standard. also, I believe the paper element air filters started in 1974. Does your car have the sticker on the driver side door jam? where did the VIN come from, the chassis or is that what is printed on the title?
Quote 0 0
beetlemusic
 hello, hope you have luck deciding what year your car is. I don't know how common this problem is but the same thing happened to me when I bought my 71 super. I found my car setting on the back of a used car lot the salesman swore up and down the car was a 72 with a reason the title he had was for a 72 there was a owners manual in the glove box for a 72 but the vin was a 71 after doing a title search I now have the proper title for my car. The best way to see is look at the driver door post if it is still  there the manufacture date will be on a tag at this location.

Joe

'71 super now collecting parts for restoration
Quote 0 0
Wayne

71 & 72 Super and Standards use the same VIN numbers, so you really can't tell Super from Standard using the VIN (you can only tell the year). It wasn't until 1973 when the Super Beetle got it's own unique VIN number.

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
As for sales people, and old VW's, I had a guy try to give me bull about the age of a mid-Sixties Beetle that I had my eye on.  This was the car, just this past year, that had re-sparked my cylinders for air-cooled VW's.

It was for sale on M-84, the country high way that I took to work at my job (then) in the city of Saginaw from Bay City.  They guy wanted $1500.  He also swore up and down that it was a '65.

I had decided against the car, but it didn't take much research to discover the true year of the car.  First off, it had a fuel guage, so it was definately post '62.  Further more, it had holes for mounting an insignia on the rear deck lid, so it was definately post '65.  Also, though none of the dash switches were in place (they had been removed for the new paint job the car had gotten), there was an open switch hole where the emergency flasher switch ought to have been.  That feature was not added to Volkswagens until August of 1966.  The car couldn't have been a 1967, however, for it had the sealed beam head lights that were covered with the glass dome, typical of Beetles that were built pre '67.  I concluded that the two holes in the rear deck lid were not for the "Volkswagen" insignia after all (appearing for the first time in '67) but for the one-time-only (absent on this car) numerical insignia "1500", stating the cc's of the engine.

From what I've gathered, my Super is a 1972, though the title says '73.  And it is definately a Super Beetle, not a Standard. 
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Also, to answer the above-gentleman's question, the VIN was derived from the dash beneath the windshield, corroberated by the title and under the back seat.

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
Marc

73SuperRATrod wrote:
the VIN that starts with 112 would indicate a 1972 Standard. also, I believe the paper element air filters started in 1974. Does your car have the sticker on the driver side door jam? where did the VIN come from, the chassis or is that what is printed on the title?

Not true. As Wayne pointed out, the second VIN digit did not differentiate between Standards and Supers until the `73 model year (133xxxxxx). For `71 and `72 the second digit is "1" for both versions. The paper-element air filter debuted in 1973.
All cars sold in the USA from Jan 1 1969 up had to have a VIN in the lower corner of the windshield as well as one on the B-pillar. There should also be a body ID plate in the trunk and the VIN should be stamped into the chassis on the top of the tunnel under the back seat. The one in the windshield and the one in the trunk are child's-play to change should one be of a mind to, but the B-pillar sticker is tamperproof so the only way it can be altered is to section in piece of body.
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
Thanks for all of the info, guys!  I'm definite that my car was built in '72.

I met a guy on line, last night, who insures vintage cars for a living.  He told me that the car was probably produced in '72, but was sold as new in '73.  He says that this happens all of the time.  Gunter must, then, have come over seas some time in the cusp between model years.  This is probably in part due to Volkswagen's propensity to have their new car year in the middle of the year.  Who knows?  What the guy said made sense, plus it would corroborate with the evidence that this car was produced in 1972.

I did check all of the places on the car that I know to find the VIN:  Under the front bonnet on the front clip; on the dash under the windshield glass; in the little port under the back seat... etc.  All numbers corroborated with the number on the title.  So, what this insurance guy said was probably true.
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
Marc
VW is hardly alone here, MOST car manufacturers bring out the "new" model-year cars months before the calendar rolls over; September is typical.
The VW model year has started on August 1st since 1955; it's hard to believe that a dealer could be so ignorant of this (and the VIN numbering system adopted in 1965 which indicates the model year) that they'd accidentally represent the car as a `73 but that appears to be the only explanation.
The DMV could probably correct the paperwork for you if you care.
Quote 0 0