MIkeL
Hi all,

About how much HP can a stock late model Type 1 Tranny handle without problems if driven reasonably?  CAn I put a 120 - 130 hp engine in with it or will I quickly kill it?

No racing involved.....

thanks,
Mike

74 Super - Willie
52 Zwitter
78 Vert
Mike

74 Super - Willie
52 Zwitter
78 Vert
Quote 0 0
Ryan

You can tell yourself 'no racing' all you want, but then what's the point of using anything other than a stock engine?  Preload, take it easy with shifts and don't beat on it and it will last, until it breaks of course.  If I were you, I'd drive it 'till it broke, then have my next one 'built'.  Probably nothing major, but definately not a mass produced, off the shelf tranny.  Take a little time to talk to your tranny guy and he'll steer you in the right direction.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Hey Mike, I'm running a mild 1835 w/about 90+ with a stock 4 spd. That's obviously less than what your pushing but mine gets along pretty good. I've taken her to about 97mph with no problems.Mines a 74 but I'm not sure what year the tranny is out of. A have trouble with wheel hop in 1st if I stand in her too hard. But I understand the tranny straps you can buy can alleviate that. I think all in all as long as you don't abuse it it should last decently I would think. I'm guessing with 120+ horses it is probably not going to be a daily driver? If that's the case, I'd say easy does it and get you one a little heavier to keep on the back burner if/when you need it. What have you got that your pushing 120+ out of? Just curiuos, I'm in the process of building one for a bus and I have another that I want to go all out on to replace the 1835 when the time comes.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
Ryan

Another thing, if your tranny is the original then it's got most of the goodies you would want in a built tranny anyways.  So don't trade it in for a core, have them rebuild the one you're using now, unless it's not the original.  You've already got a SB mainshaft (9 tooth/3.78 if memory serves), a 3.88 R&P, a single side cover case, and steel shift forks.  There are other tricks in the actual building process, but you'll have a good start on parts.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
MIkeL
Thanks for the input.  I guess I'll keep the original tranny for now and see how long it will last.  - That should put about $700 back in my pocket.  Well until I spend it on the convertible top anyway.....

As for how I'm getting 120 - 130 HP:

2054 cc engine (94 X 74)
042 heads with 40X35 valves (possibly ported and polished if I have $$$ now)
Engle 110 Cam with 1.25:1 ratio rockers
Dual Weber 40s
Mallory Unilite with vacuum
1 5/8 merged header w/ hi flo heater boxes. (Gets cold in NJ)

My bet is that it will come in closer to the 120 mark...

I know that this engine CAN make a lot more HP if I bump up the cam, do more head work, bigger carbs, etc.  but I'm opting for more displacement and a mild build hoping that it will last longer because it won't be working too hard.  If I pushed this engine to put out 160 - 180 HP, it would be dead real soon.....

Thanks again,
Mike
Mike

74 Super - Willie
52 Zwitter
78 Vert
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Mike, I know what you mean, I've got buddies that build outrageous motors and get 1-2 years out of them, tops. Granted that's on their rails which are driven a lot harder than anything most of us would ever do to our cars. Seems like the more you tweak the more there is to break. Sounds like you got a thumpin' little motor! Stock is fun, but it's a great feeling to be able to step in her hard and do more than make a bunch of noise! It really surprises people when an old bug goes flying by them. Good luck with the tranny!!
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
Ryan

With a 110 cam and unported heads I'd put you closer to 100hp-110hp unless your dyno operator gets 'creative' to make the customers feel better.  The engine will be begging for more air.   --Ryan

Quote 0 0
MIkeL
Hey Ryan,

Thanks.  Do you think it will be suckin' for air even at low RPM?  (below 4000 - 4500)  Or will it just run out of steam as it climbs above 5000?

I was hoping that it would still be strong in low / mid range and kind of self limit at higher RPM to keep me (and my kids) from really winding it out.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike

74 Super - Willie
52 Zwitter
78 Vert
Quote 0 0
Ryan

No it should be just fine in the lower rpm range and pull nice and hard.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
MIkeL

The eingine is done and being shipped right now.  I went with a port & polish on the heads after all.  Dyno results were 131 HP and 136 Ft lbs at 5100 RPM.

Dyno run was done with exhaust and alternator attached.   I can't wait to get my hands on it and take it for a spin.....  The builder is steelbuggin (steelbuggin.com).  He says that it idles super smooth and pulls really hard from idle all the way up.  The Engle 110 keeps the power down low and peaks at about 5100.  That's just fine with me.

I'll let you know how it runs.

Thanks for all you help with the design.

Mike

Mike

74 Super - Willie
52 Zwitter
78 Vert
Quote 0 0