bluemagman
I have a 1972 SB with the front hood stuck shut! Is there a way to release the latch without a cutting torch
Thanks
Quote 0 0
BugMan

I don't know about your 72, but my 74 had a release lever in the glove box.  It may be worth a look.

Quote 0 0
blur
His '72 will be the same.

When I saw the post originally, I assumed the lever no longer worked.  If that is the case, I am stymied for an answer.
Quote 0 0
Jerky_san

well if you truthfully want to know.. a hack saw is the most dirastic.. but cutting the handle off but i don't think you want to resort to that.. if your cable is actually broke i don't know any other options though.. if it isn't get a vicescrip and clamp and pull like hell

Quote 0 0
staticattic
Try this link: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/superbeetle/vpost?id=1205761&highlight=hood

If the link doesn't work, do a search for "Hood won't open" by User "Wayne". He had the same problem and got many replies on how to fix it. Good luck.
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
bluemagman
Check it out, VW put the hood release in the glove box starting in 1969 !
How dumb am I. This is my first German car. GM was my ride of choice. Thanks for the help 
Quote 0 0
BrockGrimes

Just for referece for others, there is an inspection plug in the bottom of the trunk, pop it out and you can then mess with the latch from the inside of the trunk.  You'll need a mirror and flash light but you'll figure it out.  It's better than cutting the handle off.

[b]One day![/b]
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Thats great as long there is no spare-tire and other assorted items in the way....I dont think I could get my arm in that hole...OK that settles it give me a hacksaw.. 

LJohn
Quote 0 0
BrockGrimes

Like I said mirror and a flash light, and the hole is big enough to push stuff around.  I opened mine like that!

[b]One day![/b]
Quote 0 0
73Beetleguese
Here is a great 2 part video on how to release the hood. Video is on a super beetle.  
(Part 1)  
(Part 2)

🙂
Quote 0 0