sup73bk
Well I bought a GEX motor which is supposed to be a very good company to buy a motor from, but instead ended being a headache. After ordering the long-block with hydrolic lifters I was having problems with oil pressure and ended up having to send the motor back 3 times to GEX. After all was said and done and the thing was running correctly, GEX did pay for all shipping and for the mechanics extra work.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
I want to install a high performance stroker engine
in my 79 rag top. I have looked at Bernie Bergman turnkey
engines and see that it will cost me about 6,000 dollars.
Is this the best way to go or should I buy a long block
and do it myself?

I just don't want any problems and the Bergman engines are balanced and dynoed. Any help on this?

Thanks
Kevin
Quote 0 0
Envious
I'm only commenting on other's opinions. Take it for what it's worth. I've read a lot of negative feedback on Bernie Berman motors over the years on thesamba.com.

Like I said though, I have no personal experience. Do a search in thesamba forums for Bernie Bergman and read other people's experiences.
71 Custom Beetle
64 Convertible Beetle
63 Beetle Sedan Gulf Blue
64 1500s Squareback Nutria
52 BSA C11G
65 Lambretta Li125
04 Touareg
Quote 0 0
sector51
gex engines are very reliable. I had one in my 69 van. Gene Berg engines are really good, but they get really expensive. I bought my Gene Berg 2213cc for about 8 grand and it runs well. My dad drove the bug from New York to California which is a good 3000 miles.
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0