Greetings all,

I'm new to the forum and new to a VW Beetle.  I've been surfing this forum for a week now and have come across lots of useful info.  Thanks to all.
Here are my issues:
1) The Bug is titled as a 1970 with a VIN# of 1102504321.  This is also the number on the tag attached to the nose, under the trunk lid.  This number would indicate that the Bug is a Standard Beetle, if I understand the break down of the number correctly.  The Bug has the McPherson strut front end and the spare tire that lies flat in the trunk, like a Super Beetle.  Odd?

2) The motor number is AK222698.  That would indicate a '73 motor if I have read the info correctly on motor identification.  If it is a '73 then how do I know if I have a early or late model?  The Haynes manual says that '73 models up to Spring should be timed at 5 deg ATDC but if it is a '73 from after Spring then it should be timed at 7.5 deg BTDC.  Can anyone tell me what the timing should be?  I have it at 7.5 BTDC and it seems to run pretty good.  I had a bit of a "puff" back through the carb a few times upon shutting off the car.  At 5 ATDC it is difficult to get a steady idle.  That may be, at least partly, due to a slight bit of slop in the dizzy.  BTW, I'm putting a new SVDA dizzy on it when it comes in.  I ordered it today from aircooled.net based on info from this site.

3) The engine has a 34-pict carb but looks to have been slightly modified at the rear mount to get a bolt in there.  Makes me wonder if a 30 had been swapped out.  On the 34 there is a "solinoid" like switch on the drivers side of the carb that is part of the auto choke circuit, at least it shares a wire.  I pulled this "solinoid" off and the round disk at the end of the shaft has been snipped off.  Is this a standard type of "fix" or "upgrade" someone would have done for performance reasons?

Sorry for such a lengthy first post.  Looking forward to any and all responses.

Regards,
Tim
Quote 0 0
ljohn
Tim,
    Reading a restoration manual it states that 1970 is when they came out with the strut front-end and the spare tire laying flat, As far as the timing not 100% sure but from what I read from the Bentley book it has to do with how many vacuum hoses you have, kind if tells you which timing to use this is from the book.......

Carburetor cars from Aug 1970 to spring 1973 and fuel inj cars with manual transmissions ...Use 5* after TDC

Carburetor cars only from spring 1973
(engines with a single vacuum hose to the distributor)  7.5* before TDC

As far as the AK engine code only thing I found was is was used starting October 1972.................Any help....?   LJ
LJohn
Quote 0 0
LJohn,

Thanks for the reply.
My Bug has the dual vacuum distributor so I suppose it should be at 5 ATDC based on that.  As I mentioned before, I'll be changing that to a SVDA soon so, know that I think about it, that will change the timing setup anyway.
So, based on your book, in '70 they came out with the strut front end and tire lying flat in the trunk.  Did it still remain a Standard Beetle?  If so, then I believe the only thing that is different on this '70 Bug is that someone has put a late model motor in it.

Tim
Quote 0 0
BugMan

Everything I've read says the car is a super because of the struts.  I've got a 74 Super with the struts, but I dated the engine to about 72.  The chassis code also says it's a 74 super.  I also have different floor pans.  Based on the replacement parts that I've looked at, I've got standard floorpans.  Anyhow, I guess it just goes to show the innerchangability of the beetles.

Quote 0 0
ljohn
Bugman,
      Not disputing your anaysis but reference to the book it states  

Quote : 1302 Beetle model introduced with these distinctive, bulbous front end, Macpherson strut suspension replacing  front torsion bars and spare wheel recessed into the floor instead of carried vertically, allowing a larger luggage bay. Semi-trailing arm rear suspension.Rubber bumper inserts. "L" suffix added to model number indicated Beetle with high spec. range of option extras "S" suffix indicated additional performance spec. 1302 model normally fitted with 1300cc engine but...January the 1302S ( "S" suffix indicated additional performance spec.) known as the Super Beetle also with extra air intake on engine compartment lid.

Everything Ive heard when I started getting back into VW's if it has struts its a Super....?????
LJohn
Quote 0 0
BugMan

Sorry for the not so technical response LJohn, but the point I was really trying to make was about the interchangeability of the VW.  I know you can't exchange everything, but how else do you explain late model motors in early model cars, early model fenders on late model cars....

Quote 0 0
ljohn
Bugman, Was not meant as a rebuttal on your statement, Was trying to help Tim identify his car. And your point was well taken........Sorry

PS.Technical heck took that right out of the book....
LJohn
Quote 0 0
blur
The 110* VIN would be an indicator that it is a 1970 model year.  Therefore, that is why the DMV has it registered as a 1970.

The fact your car has struts and a flat-laying spare tire indicates you have a Super Beetle -- presumably a 1302 if it has the flat windshield.

Super Beetles started in the 1971 model year with the flat-screened 1302 in September 1970.

So how does one have a 1302 with a 1970 VIN?

It is obviously a car that has been pieced together to some degree.

The more common example of this is the Mexi-Beetle in the United States.  One might have a 1998 Beetle from Mexico but it may be on a 1968 chassis with a 1968 VIN.  It gets registered as a 1968 even if 98% of the car is 1998 in origin.

Remember the Super Beetle and the standard Beetle are identical from A-pillar on back for each corresponding year of their dual existence.  Somewhere, somehow, this car got pieced together with a Super front and a standard VIN.

By the way, a standard Beetle and a Super Beetle from the 1971 model year in its original form would both have a 111* VIN.  Likewise, a pure 1972 bug would have a 112* VIN regardless if it were Super or not.  The VIN distinction between Super sedans and non-Super sedans did not begin until the 1973 model year with 133* and 113* VINs, respectively.

So, is a Super with a 1970 VIN odd?  Yes indeed.
Quote 0 0